Commission on Social Witness
The Commission on Social Witness (CSW) is made up of five members, three elected by the General Assembly and two appointed by the Board of Trustees, for a term of four years.
The Mission of the Commission on Social Witness is to engage UU congregations and the UUA in discerning and crafting a vision for the Association on pressing social issues as a reflection of the values of our faith.
The 1984 General Assembly in Columbus, OH, established the Commission on General Resolutions. The 1996 General Assembly in Indianapolis, IN, changed the name to the Commission on Social Witness and approved other terminology and process.
The current commissioners are:
- Ms. Jyaphia Christos-Rodgers, term expires 2023
- Rev. Dr. Meredith Garmon, term expires 2021
- Ms. Alison Aguilar Lopez Gutierrez McLeod, term expires 2021
- Rev. Jessica Star Rockers, term expires 2022
- Rev. Dr. Pippin Whitaker, Chair, term expires 2023
This covenant for the CSW was affirmed Aug. 7, 2018:
As we endeavor to do the best possible work on behalf of Unitarian Universalist congregations and the UUA principles they have affirmed, we covenant to be in right relationship with one another by:
- finding the holy within each of us;
- listening to understand; acknowledging and articulating discomfort when it arises;
- being honest and open about our personal biases;
- respecting the contributions and circumstances of one another;
- trusting one another’s good intentions and commitment to our work;
- affirming different learning and working styles; and
- grounding our relationships and work in the practices of anti-racism and anti- oppression.
We covenant to hold ourselves and one another accountable by referring to these commitments during process observations at the end of each convening.
Unitarian Universalist Association Bylaws under which the Commission on Social Witness operates:
- Section 5.10 Commission on Social Witness
- Section 4.11. Tentative Agenda for Regular General Assemblies
- Section 4.12. UUA Statements of Conscience
- Section 4.13. Revision of UUA Statements of Conscience Process Schedule
- Section 4.14. Final Agenda for Regular General Assemblies
- Section 4.15. Agenda for Special General Assemblies
- Section 4.16. Additions to the Agenda of Regular General Assemblies
- RULE IV—General Assembly