Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Justice
Each of us has worth and dignity, and that worth includes our gender and our sexuality. As Unitarian Universalists (UUs), we not only open our doors to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, we value diversity of sexuality and gender and see it as a spiritual gift. We create inclusive religious communities and work for LGBTQ justice and equity as a core part of who we are. All of who you are is sacred. All of who you are is welcome.
What We Are Doing
- Welcoming Congregations
Our congregations engage in intentional Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) welcoming ministry. Find a Welcoming Congregation near you or learn more about the Welcoming Congregation Program and how we are constantly deepening our practice of welcome.
- UPLIFT: LGBTQ Ministries and Welcoming Congregations Blog and Newsletter
This is the quarterly newsletter from the UUA's LGBTQ Ministries, sharing LGBTQ voices in Unitarian Universalism and beyond. UPLIFT is a platform for the UUA to highlight LGBTQ+ issues and concerns by featuring related programming, reflections, and content circulated in our quarterly blog and email newsletter.
Worship, Learn, and Live Your Faith
Worship & Education
- Pride: A collection of resources, including readings, meditations, and stories you can use for LGBTQ-focused worship services.
- Identity 101: Learn more about sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Print resources: LGBTQ-related pamphlets, flyers, guides, and other print resources.
- Our Whole Lives (OWL) : A sexuality education program for the entire lifespan, inclusive of sexuality and gender diversity.
Effective justice ministry depends on partnership. UU partners for LGBTQ justice work, beyond the Unitarian Universalist Association, include UU State Action Networks, Side with Love, Interweave, and Transgender Religious Professional UUs Together (TRUUsT). UUs also form interfaith partnerships, such as with the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), Lambda Legal, the National LGBTQ Taskforce, and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).