The health and vitality of our congregations depends in part on a good fit between a congregation and their minister. The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) helps to connect ministers searching for a position with congregations who want to find a minister.
The UUA offers information and resources to help congregants, ministers, ministerial search representatives, compensation consultants, and regional staff throughout the search process for all types of ministers: assistant, contract, developmental, interim, or settled.
Congregations seeking 3/4 or full time ministries receive support from both the UUA Transitions Office and UUA regional staff; congregations seeking ministries of less than 3/4 time receive support primarily from regional staff.
For questions about the materials or the search process, please contact the UUA Transitions Office at transitions [at] uua [dot] org.
Congregational Leaders and Ministers
Regarding the Upcoming Interim Search!
If you are planning an interim search, please
- Do not create an interim application in the current settlement system. The UUA is developing a new search system to replace it which we expect will be available later in March.
- Send an email to transitions [at] uua [dot] org to let us know. Include your congregation’s full name, city, and state and the name and email for your contact person.
- Also tell us if the interim ministry will be full-time or what percent of time and the planned duration (two years is recommended).
These documents are essential reading for both lay leaders and for ministers.
- The Settlement Handbook (PDF, 49 pages)
The comprehensive guide to the process to call a minister for both congregations and ministers.
- Transitional Ministry Handbook (PDF, 45 pages) (Word)
The comprehensive guide for all transitional ministries. Includes sample contracts for both interim and consulting ministries.
- The Hire-to-Call Process (PDF, 8 pages)
Provides an outline for the process of hiring a second (or third, etc.) minister with the intent to call in the future. By Rev. Dr. Ian Evison.
- Joint Recommendations Concerning Ministerial Agreements (Word, 24 pages) (PDF, 21 pages)
Background information for all ministerial agreements and sample letters of call for settled ministries.
- Benefit Transition/Coverage Continuation Form
Courtesy of the Office of Church Staff Finances.
- Year by Year in Settlement (PDF). Graphs and explanations for recent settlement trends.
Resources here are of particular use to lay leaders shepherding their congregation through the ministerial transition.
- Notice of Ministerial Transition
Informs the Transitions Office and your Regional Transitions Program Manager that your congregation is going into ministerial search.
- Ministerial Search Committee Calendar (PDF) (XLS) (Revised July 2017)
- The Resource Guide for Ministerial Search Committees
An essential supplement to The Settlement Handbook for congregations.
- Compensation Calculator (Excel) (PDF)
Assists in calculating the UUA-recommended cost of ministry for any ministerial position.
- Responsible Staffing (PDF, 14 pages)
- Guide to and rationale behind the process of screening ministers. Also see President's Letter (PDF) and Responsible Staffing Forms (PDF). Companies that conduct criminal background checks:
- Guidelines for Part-time Ministry Searches (PDF)
A brief description of what the Transitions Office can offer to congregations seeking ministers for part-time (less than 3/4 time) positions.
- Watch The Interim Opportunity. Essential viewing for congregations at the beginning of their ministerial transition period.
These resources are useful for ministers in the midst of or considering a transition.
- Opportunities for Ministry
An up-to-the-minute list of all congregations publicly in transitions.
- How to Case a Church (PDF, 59 pages)
(Finding & Getting the Church of Your Choice)
The classic (3rd edition) by Peter Spilman Raible.