The health and vitality of our congregations depends in part on a good fit between a congregation and their minister. The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) helps to connect ministers searching for a position with congregations which want to find a minister.
The UUA offers information and resources to help congregants, ministers, regional transition coaches, compensation consultants, and regional staff throughout the search process for all types of ministers: assistant, contract, developmental, interim, or settled.
Congregations seeking ¾ or full time ministries receive support from both the UUA Transitions Office and UUA regional staff; congregations seeking ministries of less than ¾ time receive support primarily from regional staff.
Questions About Materials or the Search Process?
Please include your full name, your congregation’s full name (no acronyms), city, and state in all correspondence with the UUA Transitions Office and Regional Staff.
- Transitions Office: Rev. Keith Kron, Director, and Emily Cherry, Administrator (transitions [at] uua [dot] org)
- Central East Region: Andrea Lerner, Transitions Program Manager (alerner [at] uua [dot] org)
- MidAmerica Region: Christine Purcell, Transitions Program Manager (cpurcell [at] uua [dot] org)
- New England Region: Christine Purcell, Transitions Program Manager (cpurcell [at] uua [dot] org)
- Pacific West Region: Rev. Sarah Schurr, Transitions Program Manager (sschurr [at] uua [dot] org)
- Southern Region: Christine Purcell, Transitions Program Manager (cpurcell [at] uua [dot] org)
Congregational Leaders and Ministers
Regarding All Active and Upcoming Searches
- Only use the old settlement system for accessing historical information. The new MinistrySearch system is in use!
- Congregational leaders, send an email to transitions [at] uua [dot] org to initiate your search. Include your congregation’s full name, city, and state, and the name and email for your contact person. If you are initiating an interim ministry search, let us know if it will be full-time or a lower percentage of time and about the planned duration (two years is recommended).
- To view opportunity listings for ministers, religious educators, musicians, and other congregational staff, please visit the MinistrySearch Jobs Board.
These documents are essential reading for both lay leaders and ministers:
- The Settlement Handbook (PDF) The comprehensive guide to the process to call a minister for both congregations and ministers (updated 2018).
- The Transitional Ministry Handbook (PDF) The comprehensive guide for all transitional ministries (updated 2019)
- Congregations' Search Calendar 2019 A timeline of significant search milestones for August 2019 settlements
- Ministers' Search Calendar 2019 A timeline of significant search milestones for August 2019 settlements
- Congregations' Search Calendar 2020 A timeline of significant search milestones for August 2020 settlements
- Ministers' Search Calendar 2020 A timeline of significant search milestones for August 2020 settlements
- Interim Search Calendars 2019-2025
- Search Covenants For ministers and search committees in interim or settled search
- Interim Progress Appraisal
To be completed by ministers and lay leaders, online, after 6 months; after 12 months; and for two year interims, again at the end of the second year
- The Hire-to-Call Process (PDF, 8 pages) Provides an outline for the process of hiring a second (or third, etc.) minister with the intent to call in the future. By Rev. Dr. Ian Evison
- New for ministries beginning July 2019 or later: 2019 UUA/UUMA Recommended Ministerial Agreement for Full-time Senior, Lead, and Solo Ministries (if needed, you may request a Word version of this document by sending an email to transitions [at] uua [dot] org (subject: Request%20for%20Word%20version%20of%20UUA%2FUUMA%20ministerial%20agreement) )
- Benefit Transition/Coverage Continuation Form Courtesy of the Office of Church Staff Finances
- Directory Update Form Please complete this form to note any staffing changes to be displayed on MyUUA.org
Resources here are of particular use to lay leaders shepherding their congregation through the ministerial transition.
- Notice of Ministerial Transition
Informs the Transitions Office and your Regional Transitions Program Manager that your congregation is going into ministerial search
- Notice of Call
To be completed by the governing board once the congregation’s call to a minister has been extended and accepted
- Compensation Worksheet
Assists in calculating total compensation for a ministerial position, based on UUA benefit guidelines
- Responsible Staffing (PDF, 14 pages)
- The Interim Opportunity
Essential viewing for congregations at the beginning of their ministerial transition period
These resources are useful for ministers in the midst of or considering a transition.
- MinistrySearch Jobs Board
- How to Case a Church (PDF, 59 pages) The classic (third edition) by Peter Spilman Raible
- Manual for Ordination and Installation Services in UU Churches (PDF, 24 pages) by Peter Spilman Raible
- After Running Through the Thistles the Hard Part Begins (PDF, 13 pages)
The Rev. Mark Morrison-Reed's reflections on the position of the former minister, with responses by Revs. Leon Hopper and Marge Keip.
- Ministerial Settlement System Please access this retired system only to retrieve historical information. New searches and records should go in the MinistrySearch system.
- 2012 Joint Recommendations Concerning Ministerial Agreements (Word, 24 pages) (PDF, 21 pages) Background information for all ministerial agreements and sample letters of call for settled ministries. For ministries beginning in July 2019 or later, please use the agreement listed in the above "essential reading for both lay leaders and ministers" section.