Have you ever heard someone in your congregation say one of the following?
“We need families to join the church!”
“Young people should pledge — or volunteer!”
“We don’t have kids in the church anymore!”
“People come to visit, but they don’t come back!”
If so, you are not alone. We frequently hear these same comments from many congregations in the New England Region. Lots of you share concerns about aging memberships, declining religious education programs, shaky financial futures, and a dearth of volunteers.
There is shared interest in attracting young people who might be able to join, volunteer, or pledge — and even better if they have children who can join our Religious Education programs! Yet, what do we really know about the lives and realities for younger people today?
- What motivates them to join - or not?
- To volunteer - or not?
- To pledge - or not?
- To raise their children in religious community - or not?
We are convening a special Contexts Learning Community for congregations seeking deeper exploration into the dynamics at play for younger people interested in living lives of faith. As a learning community we will seek to more fully understand the realities of life for Millenials and Gen Z, as well as the emotional impact of existing narratives about these populations.
You will hear directly from parents, educators, and other young(ish) people about their lived experiences. We’ll also share data that tells a more complete story than the same old stereotypes we’re used to hearing about young people, our congregations, and growth.
Let’s get more familiar with the contexts — together!
Interested participants are encouraged to assemble a team of folks from their congregation so that the experience can be shared. Sign up to participate today. Once signed up, you will automatically receive invitations to register for each gathering. Individual registration per gathering is required.
What to Plan For
- Two more 90-minute Zoom gatherings over the church year
- Monday March 11, 1:00-2:30pm ET
- Thursday May 16, 11:00am-12:30pm ET
- Two more “At Home” meetings with your team in your congregation to digest pre-work together (February, and April)
- Pre-work resources to watch, read, or listen to in advance including videos or other media that directly addresses one aspect of Context - Generations, Generosity, Gathering, or Growth.
- Data and stories that are more complete than the same old stereotypes we’re used to hearing!
- Resources for the learning community — including materials supplied for and generated at previous gatherings
Please assemble a team from your congregation and sign up to participate today.