It takes practice to resist and transform cultures we are part of that do not align with our values.
It also takes practice to maintain cultures that already align with our values — particularly when these are under threat.
Maintaining, resisting, transforming — it all takes practice.
And practice takes community — to help us remember, to encourage us, to offer us models and to be a witness.
We launched this community of practice in 2022 for anyone — lay people and religious professionals — interested in embedding the practices of Spiritual Leadership in their congregational life and beyond. By supporting individuals in these practices, congregations help shape culture to reflect our Principles and deepest values.
Whatever ministries you are part of — worship, music, faith formation, hospitality, social justice, governance, or anything else — the practices of Spiritual Leadership are a theologically faithful way to shape culture within and beyond the congregation. So much pulls us away from living at the center of our values. The practices of Spiritual Leadership help cultivate the creativity, resistance, and resilience that are needed to co-create the world our hearts know is possible.
All are welcome—regardless of current familiarity or experience with the Spiritual Leadership practices. Use our online form to join us anytime.
Once you have joined you, will receive invitations to gatherings scheduled every couple of months. Each gathering will focus on a specific theme and be offered twice to accommodate different schedules. The topic and design for both daytime and evening offerings will be the same.
You’ll need to register for each gathering individually. We'll give you some pre-work as preparation for the session. In the gathering itself, through a variety of engagement methods, participants will explore ways the practices of Spiritual Leadership can help shape culture in our congregations.
We will send details for each 90 minute gathering as it approaches, along with a link to register. Mark your calendars for gatherings already scheduled.
Please check out our new learning community Liberating Practices.
- Vision of Spiritual Leadership (YouTube): 3 minute video summary by Rev. Erica Baron
- Overview of Spiritual Leadership and brief description of the five Practices of Spiritual Leadership in congregations
- Practice Makes Possible: New England Region staff blog with reflections to inspire and support Unitarian Universalists tending Spiritual Leadership practices in themselves and their community
- Community Expectations and Covenanting Practice for this community of practice
- Claiming Our Spiritual Leadership: an online course through UU Institute offering a deeper dive into the practices of Spiritual Leadership
Resources for the community of practice — including materials supplied for and generated at previous gatherings