These resources supplement the Our Whole Lives (OWL) facilitator training. To suggest additional resources for OWL facilitators or to ask about OWL program content, facilitation issues, or facilitator training, please contact the OWL Programs Manager, Melanie Davis, PhD, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Our Whole Lives Newsletter provides information and resources for OWL facilitators, program coordinators, parents and others. It’s free! Sign up today!
How to Support OWL Programs during COVID-19
Was your OWL program interrupted by a pandemic-related shutdown? Are previously scheduled OWL programs on hold? In response to these challenges, the UUA and the United Church of Christ offer recommendations that are safe, accessible, creative, and values-based. Please read When You Can't Do OWL... Do This! (PDF) to help you continue to offer holistic sexuality education without in-person gatherings. Includes tips for creating online adaptations.
You can also share At-Home Sexuality Education Resources for Grades K-6 and At-Home Sexuality Education Resources for Grades 7-Adults. These are curated lists of books and websites:
Parents and Caregivers as Sexuality Educators is a wonderful option to foster adult-child communication on important topics. This is a free curriculum for small group ministry program. It is not part of Our Whole Lives, but it does help adults consider similar topics. Groups do not require a trained facilitator, and the program can be offered online or in person. Available in both Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ versions, the curriculum can be easily adapted for secular use or use with other faith communities.
OWL Taking Flight Webinars
The Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ host monthly educational webinars for OWL facilitators, program coordinators, religious educators, clergy, and others. The topics are related to OWL content but often are not curriculum-specific. The webinar hosts are Melanie Davis, PhD, UUA OWL Program Manager, and Amy Johnson, MSW, the UCC Minister for Sexuality Education and Justice.
1st Wednesday of each month, 12:00-1:00 PM ET
OWL Taking Flight webinars explore topics that intersect with Our Whole Lives and Sexuality and Our Faith programs. Co-hosted by the UCC and UUA, these free webinars are created with Our Whole Lives facilitators and program coordinators in mind, while they are also open to the public.
July 6, 2022, Noon - 1 pm Eastern Time
Join Dr. Melanie Davis, Amy Johnson, and guest Dr. Rachael Gibson, Amaze Senior Education Manager at Advocates for Youth. We will explore the challenges and rewards of providing public-facing sexuality education that young people findcomforting, empowering, helpful, and fun.
Register even if you cannot attend live, so you can receive links to the recording and to resources mentioned during the webinar.
Registering for the streamed event will enable you to receive a follow-up OWL Newsletter, if you click the option to receive email from the UCC.
View recorded webinars:
- Autism-inclusive Our Whole Lives (YouTube), with Dr. Melanie Davis, Amy Johnson, OWL Trainers Ramon and Shellie Selove and their son Nathan Selove, a young adult OWL "graduate." Ramon and Nathan are autistic, and the family shares facilitation tips based on their personal and OWL experiences.
- Addressing Anti-LGBTQ+ Initiatives (YouTube). Dr. Melanie Davis and Amy Johnson welcome Rev. Michael Crumpler, Rev. Evin Walter, Rev. Michael Schuenemeyer, and Rev. Yadi Martinez-Reyna-- all of whom are on the front lines in the UU and UCC fight for LGBTQIA+ justice. We discuss where OWL fits into national LGBTQ+ advocacy efforts.
- Building an OWL Program From the Ground Up (YouTube) Dr. Melanie Davis and Amy Johnson welcome Kat Good and Jennifer Ringold to share program implementation and growth strategies.
- Introducing An Our Whole Lives Adaptation For Older Adults (YouTube) Dr. Melanie Davis explains how to adapt OWL for Older Adults for online use.
- Under Your Wing: OWL (Our Whole Lives) Taking Flight (YouTube), Introducing videos for parents and caregivers of children in grades K-1, with Dr. Melanie Davis and Amy Johnson.
- OWL Revisions: Flight Status, January 2022 (YouTube), with Dr. Melanie Davis and Amy Johnson.
- Sex Trivia!, December 2021 (YouTube), with Dr. Melanie Davis and Amy Johnson.
- Online Training Sneak Peek AND Ask Us Anything OWL!, October 2021 (YouTube), with Dr. Melanie Davis and Marshall Miller.
- OWL: Why We Do the Things We Do, September 2021 (YouTube), with Dr. Melanie Davis, Anna Bethea, Rev. Michael Schuenemeyer
- Framing Conversations About Restarting OWL Programs, July 2021 (YouTube), with CB Beal, Candace Woods, and Tina Lesley-Fox
HIV/AIDS: What We Can Learn from the Framework for Dialogue, June 2021 (YouTube), with Rev. Arthur Butler and Rev. Michael Crumpler.
- Consensual Non-Monogamy and Faith, May 2021 (YouTube), with Vyda Ng, Rev. Michael Crumpler, and Gabriela De Golia.
Trauma-Informed Sexuality Education, April 2021 (YouTube), with Eva Fiallos-Diaz and Rev. Dr. Sarah Lund.
- 5 Tips for Selecting Fabulous OWL Facilitators, March 2021 (YouTube), with Dr. Melanie Davis and Rev. Kelly Burd
- New Ideas about Intimacy During a Pandemic, January 2021 (YouTube), with James Wadley, Ph.D.
- Activism Against Gender-Based Violence, December 2020 (YouTube), with Rev. Dr. Karen Georgia Thompson and Beka Choate of the UCC
Resources from the webinar include:
- K-1 OWL Upcoming Revisions, November 2020 (YouTube), with authors Marshall Miller and Dorian Solot
- Racial Justice and OWL, October 2020 (YouTube), with moderator Anil Oommen and panelists Kim Kendrick, Aisha Hauser, and Cedric Harmon
- Gender and Related Language, September 2020 (YouTube)
- Taking Flight webinar, August 2020 (Vimeo) (includes Jackbox demo)
- Taking Flight webinar, July 2020 (Vimeo)
- Taking Flight webinar, June 2020 (Vimeo)
- Taking Flight webinar, May 2020 (Vimeo)
- Check out this FA! (PDF) for up-to-date answers to common about OWL programming during Covid-19, gathered from the Taking Flight webinars.
- Explore our resource list for books, discussion guides, and websites to engage OWL families between in-person meetings.
NEW! 2022 Update of Sexuality and Our Faith Grades 7-9 Visuals Narration is available by request, please mail email@example.com. The visuals are only available to Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ congregations using Our Whole Lives with trained, approved facilitators. They may be purchased by phone order through the UUA Bookstore. Note: The Grades 10-12 Sexuality and Our Faith visuals have been discontinued without a replacement video. Please dispose of the DVD appropriately.
2022 Recommended Updates to OWL for Grades K-1, 1st ed.: Since Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education for Grades K-1 1st ed. was published, understandings have changed about gender, bodies, conception, and other topics young children need to learn about. The 2nd edition will be available in late 2022 or early 2023. Until it becomes available, please use the this guide (PDF, 3 pages) to mark strongly recommended changes in your copy of the curriculum to make it as accurate and inclusive as possible. Includes updated Conception Story options. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2022 Recommended Updates to OWL for Grades 10-12, 1st ed.: Since Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education for Grades 10-12 1st ed. was published, understandings have changed about gender, orientation, bodies, STI’s, contraception, social media, and other topics teens need to learn about. The 2nd edition will be available in early 2023. Until then, use the this guide (PDF, 7 pages) to mark strongly recommended updates in your copy of the curriculum so it as accurate and inclusive as possible. If you have questions, contact email@example.com.
2020 Recommended Updates to OWL for Grades 7-9, 2nd ed.: Since Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education for Grades 7-9, 2nd edition was published in 2014, understandings about sex and gender have changed. Newer and more diverse media resources have become available. Use the guide (PDF) to mark strongly recommended changes in your copy of the curriculum to make it as accurate and inclusive as possible. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
These resources support OWL for Grades 7-9, 2nd ed. (2014):
- Unit and Workshop descriptions for Our Whole Lives for Grades 7-9, 2nd edition (2014)
- Circles of Sexuality model, revised for new, 2014 edition (PDF, 1 page)
- Special Education Approach to OWL (PDF, 15 pages) is a chapter from the 2nd edition of Our Whole Lives for Grades 7-9 that the UUA provides at no charge online. Find help to anticipate and address the learning needs of autistic youth or attention-related, intellectual, or learning disabilities so these youth may more fully participate and learn.
- Video list (videos that facilitators are likely to show)
2022 Recommended Updates to OWL for Young Adults, 1st ed.: Since Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education for Young Adults 1st ed. was published, many medical and social understandings about sexuality have changed. The 2nd edition will be available in 2023. Until then, use this guide (PDF, 8 pages) to mark strongly recommended changes in your copy of the curriculum to make it as accurate and inclusive as possible. If you have questions, contact email@example.com.
2020 Recommended Updates to OWL for Adults. Since 2000, much has changed in terms of the language around gender and orientation as well as sexual science and culture. Please use the "Recommended Updates" guide (PDF) to mark strongly recommended changes in your copy of the curriculum to make it as accurate and inclusive as possible. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
OWL Email Lists: Community Guidelines (PDF, 1 page) for the Our Whole Lives Facilitators email lists (OWL-Child, OWL-L, OWL-Adult) ensure that communications are helpful and respectful. All email list subscribers are expected to participate in compliance with these guidelines. Trained and approved UU, UCC, and CUC facilitators as well as OWL trainers and those who oversee OWL programs are welcome to self-subscribe.
Our Whole Lives for Older Adults workshop descriptions (PDF) explain what is involved in this newly developed curriculum that is now included in all Adult OWL trainings as of 2019.
Webinars include best practices for program implementation, new editions, gender inclusion, and making your Our Whole Lives program welcoming to participants of many faiths. Archived webinars are free and available to watch any time. Watch the October 2019 webinar, OWL Community Guidelines and Implementation Tips for Success (Vimeo, 57 minutes).
Our Whole Lives promotional flyers are eye-catching on bulletin boards or as take-home materials. Available for each level of Our Whole Lives, they include OWL values and tables of contents.
Our Whole Lives coloring pages (PDF) created by the United Church of Christ may be used for on-topic doodling during OWL classes. OWL program participants may color in mandala-esque designs that include OWL core values (PDF).
Thank you for your commitment to Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education.