Music Leadership Certification
The Music Leadership Certification Program (MLCP) is a program that:
- Summons music leaders to their calling of music ministry,
- Enriches their service to Unitarian Universalist congregations, and
- Enhances their professional perspective and skills.
Through the certification program, music leaders in our congregations develop a foundational understanding of three main areas of knowledge:
- Music skills and resources,
- UU heritage and values, and
- Leadership and interpersonal skills.
Candidates can complete the Music Leadership Certification Program in three-to-six years, depending on a candidate's needs. The program is administered by the Music Leadership Certification Committee (MLCC) of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) in collaboration with the Association of Unitarian Universalist Music Ministries (AUUMM).
In February 2013, the Music Leadership Credentialing Program was renamed the Music Leadership Certification Program. Those who entered the program prior to 2013 were designated Credentialed Music Leaders upon completion, while newer candidates become Certified Music Leaders.
Program Information and Resources
To indicate interest in the program, please complete the Inquiry & Intake Form.
Candidates may apply to the MLCP after at least one year of service as a music leader in the sponsoring congregation. Music leadership is defined as ongoing, regular leadership with responsibility as a choir director, accompanist, song leader, or worship leader.
The MLCC now has rolling admissions! Applications can be submitted at any time during the year, as most coursework takes place online throughout the year. Please reach out to the Professional Development Programs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your timeline and when courses are happening. The Music Leadership Certification Committee (MLCC) is responsible for evaluating and approving applications. See program requirements.
Benefits of the Program
To learn more about the benefits of the Music Leadership Certification Program for ministers, candidates, and other religious professionals, take a few moments to view these videos:
- Rev. Oscar Sinclair on the gifts of the program to shared ministry (Vimeo 00:01:20) (Transcript (PDF))
- Benjie Messer, alumnus, on understanding self through community (Vimeo 00:00:57) (Transcript (PDF))
- Rev. Linda Olson Peebles, on the benefits of the program to the Ministry Team (Vimeo 00:01:58) (Transcript (PDF))
- Aisha Hauser, MLCRE and program instructor, on Collaborative Leadership (Vimeo 00:01:06) (Transcript (PDF))
Our goal is to help sustain robust, transformative faith communities by ensuring that our professional musicians are well-equipped and theologically grounded.
We are pleased to offer advice and resources to congregations and professionals on matters relating to music leadership and transitions.
Please contact us with your program questions or other professional music leadership concerns: email@example.com.