The Music Leadership Certification Committee (MLCC)
The Music Leadership Certification Committee* (MLCC) is a committee appointed by and accountable to the President of the UUA and has jurisdiction over the Music Leadership Certification Program. The MLCC develops policies and procedures related to certification. It is comprised of seven members: one parish minister who is an advocate for musicians, one religious educator with a background in music, one lay leader who is involved with music in their local congregation, one representative of the Unitarian Universalist Musicians Network (UUMN), and three Unitarian Universalist music leaders. One of the members serves as the chair of the committee. Members serve 2-year terms with no more than a total of four terms served.
UUA staff (the Professional Development Programs Manager and the Assistant to the Co-Directors of Ministries and Faith Development) support the MLCC in its work and are accountable to the UUA Co-Directors of Ministries and Faith Development. In addition, the Assistant to the Director serves as Recording Secretary to the MLCC.
*NOTE: Previously known as the Music Leadership Credentialing Committee
- Mr. Vincent Craig, Representing the Unitarian Universalist Musicians Network (UUMN) (2025)
- Natalie Jensen, Representing a Lay Music Leader perspective (2026)
- Mr. John Hook, Representing a Professional Music Leader perspective (2019)
- Ms. Kathy Smith, Representing a Professional Religious Educator perspective (2025)
- The Rev. Kevin Tarsa , Representing a Parish Minister perspective, (2019)
- Ms. Amanda Thomas, Representing a Professional Music Leader perspective (2025)
- Ms. Anne Watson Born, Committee Chair and also representing a professional music leader perspective (2025)
The following Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Staff members serve as non-voting ex-officio members of the committee:
- Ms. Pat Kahn, Professional Development Programs Manager
- Ms. Julie Shaw, Assistant to the Director, Ministries and Faith Development