Migrant & Human Rights Strategies: Effective Advocacy
Roberta Ray: REACH for Immigrant Justice, University Unitarian Church, and Washington New Sanctuary Movement.
Angela Garcia-Sims, Social Justice Ministry Team, First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Diego
Jesse Jaeger: Executive Director of UU Mass Action
This workshop presented stories/strategies about successful coalitions for addressing migrant and human rights, including Justice for Janitors, detention watch vigils, and a campaign that enlists local elected officials and law enforcement to enact policies of non-cooperation with civil ICE detainers.
Resources Recommended by Angela Garcia-Sims
- Sojourner Detention Program video
- DWN's Visitation Manual (PDF)
- Women's Refugee Commission
- Lutheran Access Toolkit (PDF)
- The Visitor, a film written and directed by Thomas McCarty
- END Isolation