Unitarian Universalist Association Health Plan
BENEFIT EXPANSIONS IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19 - Update 3/16/2020
Because we know that some members of the UUA Health Plan will be affected by COVID-19, we are working with Highmark Blue Cross to adjust our benefits.
- Testing – We will waive all charges for COVID-19 testing in all of our PPO plans, including high-deductible plans. Highmark has established the necessary protocols for processing testing claims.
- Telemedicine – All of our PPO plans, including our high-deductible plans, include a benefit for telemedicine visits. Highmark has established the mechanism for waiving all telemedicine fees during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Early prescription refills – Highmark and Express Scripts have finalized the mechanics for automatic approval of early refills, something that could become important if a member is quarantined. This provision will initially be in place until April 10, and then re-evaluated. Remember that you can use the Highmark website and your personal login to switch your medications to mail order.
Please check back from time to time as the COVID-19 story unfolds. If you have questions, email Jim Sargent or Patti Angelina, and we will do what we can to help you navigate the system.
EyeMed Eyewear Benefit
Our eyewear benefit is changing on January 1 – Please read this message if you are in EITHER the UUA Health Plan or the Guardian Dental Plan.
If you are enrolled in the UUA Health Plan:
The UUA Health Plan covers comprehensive routine annual eye exams completed by an in-network provider, without a deductible on all plans. This benefit has always been part of the Standard PPO plan. Beginning 1/1/2020, eye exam coverage has been extended to the High Deductible and Bronze plans, with no deductible or co-payment.
All coverage under Davis Vision ends on 12/31/2019. It would be a good idea to let your eye doctor’s office know, so they can change your record and bill Highmark for your eye exam.
If you are enrolled in Guardian Dental:
Beginning January 1, 2020, EyeMed eyewear coverage will be provided at no extra charge to everyone enrolled in the Guardian Dental Plan. We are offering Dental and Eyewear as a package, as most large employers do, but keep in mind that the companies are separate --Guardian does Dental; EyeMed does eyewear
You will receive an EyeMed ID card in the mail directly from EyeMed if you are enrolled in the Guardian Dental Plan.
Please read this EyeMed Benefits Summary for details of the coverage provided. Coverage is for lenses, frames, and contact lenses only. EyeMed does not cover eye exams.
UUA HEALTH PLAN
Our Living Tradition inspires and exhorts us to care for one another; we can maintain these tenets by ensuring that all employees have access to comprehensive health benefits. In this way, we ensure that everyone can take a "human-first" approach to their employment benefits. The heart of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which became law in March 2010, was implemented in January 2014. It is the responsibility of congregational leaders to learn about the ACA and to fully prepare themselves to make thoughtful decisions regarding employee benefits, including health insurance.
To help provide answers to many questions facing employers, including congregations, the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Health Plan/Office of Church Staff Finances provides Health Reform Alerts.
We urge you to review available information now and to remain engaged. Sign up to receive the latest information. You do not need to be a participating congregation in our health plan to receive updates.
At GA2017, the AUUA received an update on the status of the health insurance marketplace, with recommendations for questions congregations should be asking while Congress struggles with market reform options. Click here to see the PowerPoint presentation from Workshop #339.
Prospective UUA Health Plan Participants
- Are you eligible for the UUA Health Plan? Do you have a qualifying event?
- Check out your plan options.
- Are you eligible for Medicare this year?
- What will your monthly premium be?
- Compare the UUA Health Plan to your health plan.
- Are you a Self-Employed Minister? Complete your Individual Subscription Agreement (PDF) prior to enrolling.
- Enroll in the Plan.
- Did you miss your enrollment opportunity? Enroll during our next Open Enrollment.
- Read news and member stories about the Plan.
- Check out our FAQ and learn how our Self-Funded health plan works!
Open Enrollment for the UUA Health Plan
Open Enrollment for the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Heath Plan occurs each November for all eligible staff. Eligible staff may join the plan effective January 1 of the next year, even if they have not taken advantage of past enrollment opportunities.
Current UUA Health Plan Participants
- Review benefit details during Open Enrollment to feel confident you have the best plan option for your needs.
- Calculate your monthly premium for you and your dependents. (Your dependent rate is your total rate minus your rate as an individual.)
- Add a dependent by using the Dependent Enrollment form.
- Are you a Transitioning Minister?
- Want to know how healthcare reform interacts with the Plan?
- Access your Annual CHIP notice (pdf).
Use this Change Form or contact the Health Plan Coordinator (healthinsurance [at] uua [dot] org) to:
- Terminate your coverage.
- Change or update your name, address, or other personal information.
Create a personalized online account with Highmark and:
- Instantly access your claims information and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) documents and opt to stop receiving paper copies.
- View your benefit booklet.
- Manage your account information and order replacement cards in the event yours is lost or stolen.
- Get help making healthy choices or changes with free access to a number of programs and customized resources.
- Go to Highmark at any time to search for the most recent provider lists.
- COBRA FAQ: information about continuing coverage after loss due to termination of employment, divorce, death or other qualifying event.
- Are your employees eligible for the UUA Health Plan?
- Calculate your employee's and their dependent's monthly premium.
- Questions about your invoice? Call the toll-free number on the invoice to verify posting of your recent payments.
- Changes to employees' status? Contact healthinsurance [at] uua [dot] org.
- The Employer Subscription Agreement (PDF)—must be on file at UUA Health Plan Office and church/organization office.
- Submit a Contributions Report monthly as required by the Department of Labor and the UUA audit process.
- Review our Considerations for Congregational Leaders and the UUA Health Plan.
- Review our General Assembly 2010 presentation titled, Living Our Vision: Congregation as a Responsible Employer (PDF, 38 pages).
Employee Benefits Trust
The UUA Health Plan is operated by the Health Plan Trust, established by vote at the UUA Board of Trustees meeting on October 22, 2006.
- UUA Health Plan Declination Form (PDF)
- Health Plan Enrollment Application
- Health Plan Dependent Enrollment Application
- Health Plan Change Form
- Health Plan Rate Calculator
- Summary Plan Description (PDF, 35 pages)
- Health Plan Description with Amendments (PDF, 56 pages)
- Employees Benefit Trust (PDF, 33 pages)