July 2021 Premium Increase; No Changes in Plan Benefits
In October 2020, the UUA Health Plan Board believed there was too much volatility in the delivery of health care given the COVID pandemic to accurately predict 2021 rates. In many ways, this mirrors the unprecedented landscape congregational leaders faced in responding to the COVID pandemic. Rather than raise rates effective January 2021, the UUA Health Plan Board decided to continue 2020 rates into the first half of 2021. As we have done every year, some individuals in the plan experienced an age adjustment in January 2021, but otherwise there were no premium increases. The Board also announced that there would be no changes to any plan benefits for the coming calendar year. In announcing that there would be no base increase in January, the UUA Health Plan Trustees committed to reviewing the data in March. The Board announced, if claims data justified an increase, an increase of up to 10% might occur for the second half of 2021.
After reviewing claims data, the Trustees determined that an increase of base rates was necessary to ensure the financial health of our self-insured health plan. They decided upon a 10% premium increase effective July 2021. These rates will remain in effect through December 2021. While a 10% increase is challenging, please understand that the effective rate for calendar year 2021 is only 5% - comparable to most health plans. In October, we will announce 2022 rates. In doing so, we will return to only an annual increase, if necessary. Click below for details.
Benefit Expansions in Response to COVID-19 - Update 11/01/2020
Because we know that some members of the UUA Health Plan will be affected by COVID-19, we are continuing to work with Highmark Blue Cross to adjust our benefits. These are temporary adjustments that we expect to keep in place for a long as pandemic conditions continue.
Testing – We will waive all charges for COVID-19 testing in all of our PPO plans, including high-deductible plans. Highmark has established the necessary protocols for processing testing claims.
Telemedicine (PDF) – All of our PPO plans, including our high-deductible plans, include a benefit for telemedicine visits. Highmark has established the mechanism for waiving all telemedicine fees during the COVID-19 outbreak. We want our members to stay safe while still being able to seek advice form medical professionals. We recognize that many doctors’ offices are strictly limiting in-person visits and are doing everything they can to expand their telemedicine capabilities. Member cost-sharing (deductible, coinsurance & copays) for In-Network and Out-of-Network Virtual Retail Clinic Visits, Virtual Primary Care Physician Visits, Virtual Specialist Visits, Virtual Behavioral Health consults, and Teledermatology, will be waived regardless of medical diagnosis. The visit does not have to be COVID-19 related. If you are already using Teledoc, you may continue to do so.
In all of our UUA Health Plans, including high-deductible plans, in-network in-patient stays related to COVID-19 will be covered with no cost sharing for the member.
Please check back from time to time as the COVID-19 story unfolds. If you have questions, email email@example.com, and we will do what we can to help you navigate the system.
Next Open Enrollment
As always, November is Open Enrollment Month. Open Enrollment is the once-a-year opportunity for current employees to enroll in the UUA Health Plan, if they had missed an earlier opportunity, or make upgrades to their plan choices, and to add dependents without a qualifying event.
For Dental, it is the once a year opportunity to join the Guardian Dental Plan if they had missed an earlier chance, and to add dependents without a qualifying event.
No action is required for employees not making changes.
Prospective UUA Health Plan Participants
- Are you eligible for the UUA Health Plan? Do you have a qualifying event?
- Check out your plan options.
- Are you eligible for Medicare this year?
- What will your monthly premium be?
- Compare the UUA Health Plan to your health plan.
- Are you a Self-Employed Minister? Complete your Individual Subscription Agreement (PDF) prior to enrolling.
- Enroll in the Plan.
- Did you miss your enrollment opportunity? Enroll during our next Open Enrollment (November) or within 30 days after a qualifying event.
- Read news and member stories about the Plan.
- Check out our FAQ and learn how our Self-Funded health plan works!
Current UUA Health Plan Participants
- Review benefit details during Open Enrollment to feel confident you have the best plan option for your needs.
- Calculate your monthly premium for you and your dependents. (Your dependent rate is your total rate minus your rate as an individual.)
- Add a dependent by using the Dependent Enrollment form.
- Are you a Transitioning Minister?
- Want to know how healthcare reform interacts with the Plan?
- Access your Annual CHIP notice (PDF).
- Terminate your coverage.
- Change or update your name, address, or other personal information.
Create a personalized online account with Highmark and:
- Instantly access your claims information and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) documents and opt to stop receiving paper copies.
- View your benefit booklet.
- Manage your account information and order replacement cards in the event yours is lost or stolen.
- Get help making healthy choices or changes with free access to a number of programs and customized resources.
- Go to Highmark at any time to search for the most recent provider lists.
- COBRA FAQ (PDF): information about continuing coverage after loss due to termination of employment, divorce, death or other qualifying event.
- Are your employees eligible for the UUA Health Plan?
- Calculate your employee's and their dependent's monthly premium.
- Questions about your invoice? Call the toll-free number on the invoice to verify posting of your recent payments.
- Changes to employees' status? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Employer Subscription Agreement (PDF)—must be on file at UUA Health Plan Office and church/organization office.
- Submit a Contributions Report monthly as required by the Department of Labor and the UUA audit process.
- Review our Considerations for Congregational Leaders and the UUA Health Plan.
- Review our General Assembly 2010 presentation titled, Living Our Vision: Congregation as a Responsible Employer (PDF, 38 pages).
Employee Benefits Trust
The UUA Health Plan is operated by the Health Plan Trust, established by vote at the UUA Board of Trustees meeting on October 22, 2006.
- UUA Health Plan Declination Form (PDF)
- Health Plan Enrollment Application
- Health Plan Dependent Enrollment Application
- Health Plan Change Form
- Health Plan Rate Calculator
- Summary Plan Description (PDF, 35 pages)
- Health Plan Description with Amendments (PDF, 56 pages)
- Employees Benefit Trust (PDF, 33 pages)