Benefits & Highlights of the UUA Health Plan
Ten years ago we launched an unprecedented effort – a health plan based on UU values, available to all of our congregations, offering a clear path to provide quality health insurance to every eligible employee in our congregations – something that hundreds of ministers and other congregational staff did not have in 2006.
In the intervening years, the Affordable Care Act has brought near-universal access to coverage, but the Obamacare plans have struggled with benefits, rate increases, doctor and hospital shortages, and insurance companies’ dropping out.
Ten years later the UUA Health Plan is strong, well-funded, and committed to fairness and equity in the plans we offer. The UUA Health Plan is the plan of choice for over half of all congregations with qualifying staff.
Responding to changes in the way consumers look at their health insurance options, we now offer three levels of benefits, just as the Exchange plans do: Gold – our Standard PPO, the choice of 80% of all participants; Silver – our two High-Deductible plans, including one that can be paired with a Health Savings Account; and Bronze – the fastest-growing plan in our family of plans.
No matter what plan you pick, you will get:
- Access to the entire Blue Cross provider network, nationwide. Currently, 99% of all claims are for in-network healthcare providers.
- Access to non-network providers at a higher out-of-pocket cost.
- No evidence of insurability, and no exclusions for preexisting conditions
- No primary care gatekeeper is required. You may make your own decisions about specialists.
- The plan offers complete portability across the U.S.; the plan goes with you if you change jobs within UU organizations.
- All plans options provide prescription drug coverage. The Standard PPO has the most drug coverage; the Silver and Bronze plan offer more limited drug coverage.
- All plans cover preventive services in full, including women’s preventive health services. All forms of birth control are covered.
- Coverage includes access to specialists when they are needed. All of the major specialties such as obstetrics, gynecology, cardiology, oncology, urology, pediatrics and various surgical specialties are included in the Blue Cross Blue Shield networks.
- Coverage for diagnostic testing
- Mental health and substance abuse services are covered the same as any other illness.
- Emergency care is covered anywhere, through both in-network and out-of-network providers, with no co-pay if the patient is admitted to a hospital.
- You have your own Blue Cross Blue Shield member card to present whenever you see a doctor, use hospital services, or have a prescription filled.
- Additional toll-free telephone support is provided through the Blues On Call (sm) health decision and support service, available 24 hours every day.
- You'll have online access to the Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield website offering provider participation information, health resources and confidential health decision support.
- Calculate Your January 1, 2017, Monthly Premium Rate
- Glossary of Health Insurance Terms (PDF)
- Summary of Standard PPO Benefits (PDF)
- Summary of High Deductible PPO Plan Benefits (w/HSA) (PDF)
- Summary of High Deductible PPO Plan Benefits (w/o HSA) (PDF)
- Summary of High Deductible PPO Plan (wHSA) Bronze Level (PDF)
- Summary of Medicare Supplement Plan F Benefits (PDF) (Retiree Benefits)
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage—Standard PPO (PDF, 9 pages)
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage—Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (PDF, 10 pages)
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage—Non-Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (not available in MA) (PDF, 10 pages)
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage—Qualified High Deductible Bronze Plan (PDF)
- Standard PPO $0 Preferred Generic Drug List (pdf)