UU Employers and Helping All Employees Gain Access to Retirement Savings
Acknowledging the inherent worth of every employee requires recognizing their needs as they transition and evolve to new chapters in life. UU Employers who have adopted the Plan ensure that all of their employees, age 18 or older, have equal access to the denominational retirement plan so they may save for their future.
The UU Organizations Retirement Plan is now active with Empower.
To learn more about this transition, please visit our Knowledge Base FAQs or refer to the Empower Transition Participant Brochure (PDF, 8 pages).
Adopting UU Employer/Congregations are responsible for administering the Plan, abiding by all of the provisions of the governing Plan Restatement document (PDF, 49 pages) and their Employer Participation Agreement (EPA) on file with the UUA, which serves as Plan Sponsor.
- Visit our Retirement Plan Knowledge Base to answer all questions related to eligibility, enrollment, remitting contributions and more!
- Stay legally compliant! The Benefits Tune-Up Workbook walks you through the basics.
- Visit our Knowledge Base Section for Employers for instructions on how to Enroll and Onboard all new W2 employees 18 years and older in the Plan.
- UU entities which lack a fully executed Employer Participation Agreement (EPA) can not offer this employee benefit plan.
- Existing Employer Participation Agreements (EPAs) are in effect until updated, prospectively, by submitting and receiving written authorization via a new fully executed Agreement for a January 1st implementation date for an upcoming Plan Year, signed by the Retirement Plan Director at the UUA.
- Keep us updated on who is responsible for remitting retirement contribution data and funding for the employees of your location by completing the Empower Plan Service Center Users Form.
- Make sure that all W2 employees get enrolled and any related employee changes, including job changes, salary changes, and terminations get submitted to the recordkeeper via the empdata file submission. Instructions and template forms are located in our Knowledge Base.
Key Items for the Plan's Employers
- Plan Restatement (PDF, 49 pages)
- Annual Plan Notice (PDF, Cover letter and 9 pages)
- Summary Plan Description (SPD) (PDF, 13 pages)
- Blank Employer Participation Agreement (PDF, 5 pages) for Employers wishing to update commitments for next Plan Year