“A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page.” (Read more about Widgets on WPBeginner.com.)
Several of the recommended plugins have widgets associated with them, as does the custom-built UUA Services Plugin (included in the UUA Theme). The Homepage and right sidebar of most pages are widget-generated.
The UUA Services Plugin includes these widgets for your site:
- UUA Featured Upcoming Service – used on the front page of the site to showcase the next upcoming service along with some quick links.
- UUA Upcoming Service – displays an upcoming service. Used in the footer, sidebars or on the homepage.
The Worship section uses these widgets to display listings.
These widgets, which are part of WordPress itself, are available for listing news posts:
- Archive that lists past news posts by month
- List Category Posts: Recent Posts that lists recent news posts
The demo site uses the Recent Posts widget to display recent news in the right-hand sidebar and at the bottom of the home page.
- Events Calendar
The demo site uses the Events widget to display upcoming events in the right-hand sidebar and the bottom of the home page.
The Testimonials plugin, if you have it installed, provides one widget for listing testimonial pages:
- Testimonials displays the most recent testimonial(s)
The demo site uses the Testimonials widget to display the most recent one at the bottom of the home page.