Faith In Action: Re-use and Recycle Drive
Materials for Activity
- Collection bin(s)
- Poster board or a roll of mural, markers, and paint
Preparation for Activity
- Arrange a site for collection bins in the congregational building. Arrange for a congregational volunteer or staff member to monitor the collection bins for the duration of your re-use and recycle drive.
Description of Activity
Get all ages in re-use/recycle with a congregational drive to recycle coats, clothes, or unused, working cell phones. All of these items are needed by organizations that shelter or support homeless people, victims of domestic abuse, new immigrants, and families living in poverty.
Research community needs and decide on the organization to receive the donations. Make sure you ask what would be most helpful and not so helpful. Assess your congregational resources. What kind of re-use drive would have the most impact in your community?
Have participants create one or more posters to advertise the effort and to label the collection box or bin. Publicize the drive in congregational venues such as worship announcements, newsletter, and website.
Collect items over the chosen time period and take them to the organization.
Arrange a time to formally thank the congregation/community for participating. At this time, engage a discussion so that everyone has a chance to reflect on these questions:
- How did it feel to find a new use for things instead of throwing them away?
- What impact do you hope you had on the recipients?
- What impact do you hope you have had on environmental problems?
- What other ways can you, individually, or we, as a community, implement re-use to help others while helping the environment?