Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Paper muffin-baking liners
- Pans or bowls filled with water, one for each team
- Newspaper or tarp to cover floor
Preparation for Activity
- In an area where participants can splash some water, cover carpet or other vulnerable surface with a tarp or newspaper. Set up pans or bowls on the protective tarps,
- Fill the pans or bowls with water.
Description of Activity
Teams compete to place the most marbles in a floating paper muffin-baking liner before it sinks. Each participant placing a marble says "Thanks to water for... [something different each time]."
Divide the group into equal teams of four. Place before each team a pan or bowl of water, a supply of marbles and a paper muffin-baking liner.
Explain that everybody competing should try to think of a new reason to thank water, but if somebody really cannot think of something fresh, they may repeat what has been said already. They may even say "Thanks to water for holding up our muffin-baking liner." (It's important to keep this fun and not embarrass anyone by putting them on the spot.)
Say "Go!" Walk around and listen to the "thank you's." See which team gets the most marbles in and the most thanks out before the sinking occurs.
When the competition is over, ask if anybody heard any surprising reasons to thank water.