Alternate Activity 1: Shout It Out!
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 3, Shout It Out!
- Leader Resource 4, Layman's League Advertising, Mid-20th Century
- Art materials including paper, markers, scissors, and poster board
- Optional: Computer with Internet connection, and projector
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 3, Shout It Out! and Leader Resource 4, Layman's League Advertising, Mid-20th Century.
- Set art materials at work tables.
- Optional: Test the computer, projector, and access to the Unitarian Universalist Association website home page.
Description of Activity
Using Leader Resource 3, Shout It Out! share with participants the history of Unitarian, Universalist, and Unitarian Universalist print-based evangelism. Show Leader Resource 4, Layman's League Advertising, Mid-20th Century. Invite participants to share their memories or experiences of Unitarian Universalist marketing or advertising. How effective do participants perceive these efforts to have been in encouraging more people to discover Unitarian Universalism?
Invite participants to spend a few minutes imagining their own version of a campaign to bring Unitarian Universalism to more people. Ask guide questions:
- What words come to mind? What images?
- What media might you use?
If you have a computer with Internet access, display the UUA's home page as an example of how many people find Unitarian Universalism for the first time. Invite participants to explore the website.
Invite participants to use the art materials to sketch, write, storyboard, or otherwise show their ideas for spreading the word about Unitarian Universalism to a 21st-century population. Invite them to work alone or in groups for 15 minutes. Save time for volunteers to share their creations and ideas with one another.