Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- A copy of the story "We're in the News!"
Preparation for Activity
- Copy the story "We're in the News!" for all participants and prepare to read it aloud.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
The press looks for the 5 Cs: conflict, controversy, contradiction, cast of characters and colorful language.
Description of Activity
Present the story "We're in the News!" or distribute copies for participants to read to themselves. Then, direct the group's attention to the posted statement. Invite participants to identify which of the 5 Cs they found in each of the story's two narratives. Ask:
- In what ways do stories such as these have positive value and outcomes?
- What negative values or outcomes are there?
Ask participants what other stories they know of Unitarian Universalism in the news. Can they identify both positive and negative values and outcomes of the press coverage?