Procedures for the UUA ITS Web Team
The ITS Web Team (the successor to the Office of Electronic Communication) tries to stay out of on-list affairs, leaving them to the list managers and sponsoring organizations. However, a subscriber or manager may call on the Web Team to make a decision about what is allowable on a list.
- The Web Team will ask for copies of all relevant correspondence, and will make sure that the appropriate parties are involved.
- The Web Team will let the person know that a complaint has been received, including the nature of the complaint and who is making it. The Web Team will provide a time frame by which a decision will be made and will give the person a chance to make a defense.
- If a list manager or moderator is accused of a serious offense, the Web Team may add a UUA list manager or moderator to take the place of the accused temporarily, to remove the accused list manager from list responsibilities during the process.
- The Web Team or its designate may subscribe to the list to monitor how the complaint is affecting the list.
- If necessary, the Web Team may switch an unmoderated list to moderated to forestall acrimonious debate before a decision is made.
- In the case of complaints against subscribers, the Web Team will determine whether the person needs to apologize for an error privately, or to post an apology or retraction on the mailing list, to restrict the frequency, length, or content of postings, to be banned from posting to the list permanently or temporarily, to be unsubscribed from the list permanently or temporarily, or other action.
- In the case of complaints against list managers or moderators, the Web Team will determine whether the person needs to apologize for an error privately, to post an apology or retraction on the mailing list, to revoke a penalty imposed on a subscriber, to be removed as list moderator or manager, to work with a co-manager or moderator, or other action.
- The Web Team will inform everyone involved about the decision, and ask for comments or questions. If necessary, the Web Team will work with all sides to create and implement an appropriate plan of action. The Web Team will post a message to the list explaining the complaint and its outcome.