UUA Umbrella Giving Program
As an association of congregations, the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) can and should put its combined strengths to work for the benefit of all Unitarian Universalist organizations. That is why, as part of our mission to serve our member congregations and the wider movement, the UUA has developed a simple and creative solution that we call “umbrella giving.”
What is umbrella giving?
Umbrella giving allows entities under the Unitarian Universalist (UU) umbrella to receive gifts through a single donation to the Association.
How does it work?
The process is simple. You make a single gift to the Unitarian Universalist Association and let us know how you would like your gift to be distributed. The UUA then distributes the gift and notifies the benefiting entity according to your instructions.
Why would I want to use the UUA’s Umbrella Giving Program?
The Umbrella Giving Program:
- Creates a way for you to give anonymously.
- Gives you access to life income gift options such as charitable gift annuities and charitable trusts.
- Allows your congregation to focus its resources on programming instead of gift administration.
- Provides you access to and support from knowledgeable and professional staff.
- Creates accountability for gifts with restrictions.
- Simplifies your estate plans.
- Leaves a lasting legacy.
What does it cost?
Nothing. This is a completely free service supported by your contributions. We encourage individuals who make an umbrella gift to designate at least 25 percent of their gift to the UUA, to help us continue our work on behalf of all our congregations, but the final distribution of the gift is entirely up to you.
Can I give an umbrella gift to non-UU entities?
No. The Umbrella Giving Program was established to serve the larger Unitarian Universalist (UU) community. Umbrella gift beneficiaries must be UU congregations, districts, theological schools, and other UU entities.
How do I designate an umbrella gift in my will?
First, you need to consult with your professional advisor to add the following suggested language to your will:
I give to the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) (tax I.D. number 04-2103733), a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, located in Boston, Massachusetts, [ ___% of my estate or the sum of $________ or specific asset] to be divided by the UUA consistent with any memorandum or statement of intent I may deliver to the UUA prior to my death.
Second, you send a signed letter to the UUA that describes how you want your gift to be divided. This is your letter of intent. We will contact you when we receive it. If at any point you want to update the beneficiaries, instead of having to update your will again, you simply send the UUA an updated letter of intent.
Will the beneficiaries be notified?
This decision is yours to make. You can choose to have us keep this gift confidential, notify the beneficiary of your umbrella gift, or notify the beneficiary that an anonymous umbrella gift has been made.
How quickly are funds distributed?
Once the UUA receives funds from a stock gift, estate, trust, or another type of gift, we will process and distribute the funds according to your intentions within two business weeks.
Which organizations have received gifts through the Umbrella Giving Program?
Through the UUA’s Umbrella Giving Program, individuals have supported organizations including, but not limited to:
- All UU member congregations
- Church of the Larger Fellowship
- Holdeen India Program
- UU College of Social Justice
- UU United Nations Office
- International Council of Unitarians and Universalists
- UU Partner Church Council
- UU Service Committee
- UU Women’s Federation
- Liberal Religious Educators Association
- UU Ministers Association
- UU Retired Ministers & Partners Association
- Meadville Lombard Theological School
- Starr King School for Ministry
- Camp de Benneville Pines
- Camp Unistar
- Ferry Beach Park Association
- The Mountain Retreat and Learning Center
- Murray Grove Retreat and Learning Center
- Rowe Camp and Conference Center
- Shelter Neck UU Camp
- Star Island Family Conference and Retreat Center
- Unirondack Camp and Conference Center
The Association’s resources and trained professional staff are here to assist you in making one gift that will ultimately help multiple Unitarian Universalist entities. Put the UUA to work to benefit the UU organizations you love!