Unitarian Universalist Advent Calendar
Created by Ralph Roberts
WorshipWeb is delighted to offer these images, created by Unitarian Universalist (UU) minister Ralph Roberts, to count down the days in December to Christmas Eve (December 24).
Ralph has also assembled his images into a page-a-day format, which contains all images in one document (PDF).
Due to its temporal nature, many of the historic milestones in this Advent calendar aren't necessarily recognized on the precise day that they're celebrated (for example, Kwanzaa is recognized here on December 2nd instead of December 26th, and the December 12 image recognizes Clara Barton's birthday (December 25, 1821).
More than perfect historic accuracy, then, this Advent calendar is offered in the spirit of holding up and delighting in the ways that our Unitarian and Universalist ancestors had a foundational role in many of the winter holidays and the innumerable ways they're celebrated by people everywhere.
- December 1: "Over The River And Through The Woods" (1844)
- December 2: Kwanzaa first celebrated (1966)
- December 3: Currier and Ives (1834)
- December 4: Earmuffs are invented (1873) (PDF)
- December 5: "Jingle Bells" first performed (1857)
- December 6: The Modern Look and Lore of Santa Claus (1863)
- December 7: "Eight Candles" (1970)
- December 8: First Christmas Tree in the White House Blue Room (1912)
- December 9: "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" (1849)
- December 10: Christmas scenes in "Little Women" (1868)
- December 11: Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" (1842)
- December 12: Clara Barton's birthday (Dec. 25th, 1821)
- December 13: First department store Santa (1890)
- December 14: "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" (1865)
- December 15: The first American Christmas Tree (1832)
- December 16: Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales (1835)
- December 17: Rod Serling's Christmas Specials (1963)
- December 18: "Do You Hear What I Hear?" (1962)
- December 19: "The Many Moods of Christmas" (1963)
- December 20: First of T.S. Eliot's Ariel Poems, "The Journey of the Magi" (1927)
- December 21: Winter Solstice
- December 22: First Unitarian Church founded in Transylvania (1557)
- December 23: "O Holy Night" (1855)
- December 24: The Flaming Chalice (1965)