Decentering Whiteness in Worship
What Are These Webinars About?
In these three videos, Unitarian Universalist religious professionals discuss how UU worship leaders can decenter whiteness, take apart models and habits that uphold white supremacy culture, and find new ways to create worship.
The newest webinar, "Beyond Basic Representation," is a conversation about why and how UU worship leaders need to do more than include readings by authors of color in worship, and why the next stage of our collective spiritual growth calls for the (often uncomfortable) creation of new processes and relationships.
These resources are either referenced in the 2019 webinar, or might be helpful to our continued learning:
The Institutional Change Blog The 2017 charge to the Commission on Institutional Change: to conduct an audit of white privilege and the structure of power within Unitarian Universalism, an analyze structural racism and white supremacy within the UUA.
"In This Delicate Turning," a sermon delivered on June 23, 2019 by Rev. Marta Valentin as part of Sunday morning worship at General Assembly (Spokane). Note: as a beautifully and carefully crafted service, the entire service is informative and inspiring. Rev. Valentin's sermon begins at 1:10 and ends at 1:45.
DeReau Farrar's reflection (delivered at First Unitarian Church of Portland, Oregon in May 2017) about white privilege as it applies to music in worship.
- Centering: Navigating Race, Authenticity, and Power in Ministry, edited by Mitra Rahnema. A joint project of the Committee for Antiracism, Anti-oppression, and Multiculturalism of the UUMA and Skinner House Books, Centering is the first book to center the stories, analysis, and insight of Unitarian Universalists of color offering their religious leadership.
- Darkening the Doorways: Black Trailblazers and Missed Opportunities in Unitarian Universalism by Mark Morrison-Reed.
- Voices from the Margins, edited by Jacqui James and Mark Morrison-Reed.
- Worship Guidelines and Components for The Promise and The Practice
- The Black Lives Matter worship collection on WorshipWeb