Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Taking It Home
- Optional: Session 1, Handout 1, Say “Yes” to a Miracle
- Optional: Session 1, Handout 2, For the Beauty of the Earth
- Optional: Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Review the song suggestions. Find lyrics and melody notes for “Say ‘Yes’ to a Miracle” on Session 1, Handout 1 and listen to the song online. “For the Beauty of the Earth” is Hymn 21 in Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, and the lyrics are provided on Session 1, Handout 2.
- Choose one of these or another song or unison reading you prefer. If you like, invite a musical volunteer to help lead a song. You may wish to help the group learn two or three closing songs/readings and alternate among these over the course of the program.
- Prepare song sheets for participants to help them learn the song you have chosen. You may also write song lyrics (or a unison reading) on newsprint, and post.
- Download the Taking It Home section and copy for all participants.
Description of Activity
Gather participants in a circle. Distribute handouts or indicate lyrics on newsprint.
Lead participants in singing the song you have chosen.
Close by inviting participants to complete the sentence that begins: “This week, I will pay close attention to _______________.”
Distribute the Taking It Home handout. Collect song or reading handouts for re-use.
Ask participants to identify miracle moments between today and the next Miracles session.
Including All Participants
Teaching a song one phrase at a time helps all learners.