Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, “Grandmother Spider Brings the Light”
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story a few times, so you will be comfortable reading or telling it.
Description of Activity
Our second story is about a much different culture and landscape. Read the story slowly to the group. At the conclusion, ask participants to think about why different cultures would create very distinct creation stories. Compare the landscapes of Hawai’i to that of the Cherokee.
- Why would the Cherokee think a little spider would be capable of that kind of creative thinking?
- What happens to the other animals? Why is that important in the story?
- How many different mysterious experiences does this story explain to the Cherokee people?
- If we had told a story about snow, ice, and seals, what culture do you think that creation story would come from?