Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1: Dove with Olive Branch
- Sheet of heavy stock paper for dove template
- Construction paper, pencils or markers, and scissors (including left-handed scissors, if children will be cutting)
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Optional: One-hole hole puncher and yarn
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1 and cut out the dove shape. Trace it on heavy stock paper and cut it out for a template. Trace a dove onto construction paper for each participant, plus a few extra. Cut these out or save this task for participants to do. If you pre-cut the dove shapes, punch a hole in the top of each, pass a length of yarn through, and knot the yarn loosely to create hanging ornaments. If the children are cutting out their own shapes, these tasks can be done as they work.
- Set pencils or markers (and scissors, if children will cut out dove shapes) on work tables.
- Write the words "I FORGIVE YOU," on newsprint and post.
Description of ActivityGather children at work tables and distribute materials. Say, in your own words:
The words "I forgive you" are simple, but can be hard to say. When we are ready to forgive someone, we might like to tell them with a very special card. We are going to make cards shaped like a dove and write on each card, "I forgive you."
Invite the children to close their eyes, if they are comfortable doing so, and think of someone whom they would like to forgive. You can prompt them to remember a conflict they have had recently at school or with someone in their family. Give them a moment. Then tell them:
If you have someone in mind to forgive, making an "I forgive you" card might help you get ready to really forgive that person. If you do not have someone in mind, make a card and save it for a time when you do want to forgive someone.