Activity time: 35 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Optional: Paper and markers or crayons
Preparation for Activity
- Invite a friend, colleague, member of your congregation, or member of your wider community to come speak with the group about their personal experience of immigrating to this country.
Description of Activity
A good way to explore immigration to this country is to talk with someone who has had the experience-preferably fairly recently. Allow time before your speaker arrives for the participants to brainstorm some questions for your guest. You might offer:
- Why did you come to the United States?
- What is the process for being allowed to legally stay in the country?
- What is the process for becoming a citizen?
- What do you miss about the country you left?
- What do you think is the best thing about the U.S.?
- When your guest arrives, give each participant a chance to ask a question and hear the response from your speaker. If possible, allow the group time after the speaker leaves to make a thank-you card to express your appreciation.
Including All Participants
Provide quiet manipulables such as silly putty or modeling clay for participants who may have difficulty sitting still and listening while the speaker is talking.