Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Optional: Newsprint, markers, and tape
Description of Activity
Participants design a ritual for the Signs of Our Faith community.
Now that we have talked about some reasons and some ways to be welcoming, let's think of some ways we can we welcome children who are new to our group. What are some simple things we can do here, when we meet together, to make a visitor or new member of the Signs of Our Faith community feel welcome? What actions are welcoming?
Encourage contributions and list ideas on newsprint. As needed, offer these suggestions:
- Helping a new child create a name tag
- Asking a new child what name or nickname they prefer to be called
- Giving a new child directions to the bathroom and water fountain
- Simply saying, "Welcome, [new person's name]!"
- A round of group introductions, where children introduce themselves and share something personal, such as their favorite food or what they like to do in their leisure time
Once some ideas are listed, engage the group to shape one or more welcoming rituals and commit to using them when someone new comes to the group. If there is time, have one or more children role-play being new so others can practice the ritual.
After this session, write down the ritual. Make sure all co-leaders have these notes, so you will be able to remind participants to enact the ritual when a new person visits or joins the group.