Activity time: 3 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Taking It Home
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Stoles, including extras for visitors
- Optional: Items needed for new Closing ritual (Session 9, Activity 4)
Preparation for Activity
- Download and adapt Taking It Home and copy for all participants. And/or, plan to email Taking It Home to parents/caregivers after this session.
- If the group designed a Closing ritual in Session 9, prepare to hold it. If not, use the Closing described here. Write the words for chalice extinguishing on newsprint, and post.
Description of Activity
Distribute stoles and invite participants to put them on.
Distribute Taking It Home. Tell participants that at the end of every session, they will receive this guide to fun activities they can do with family or friends. Read it aloud to give participants an idea of activities suggested.
Gather everyone in a circle around the chalice table. Lead the group to say:
We end as we began: together.
May we remember to be UU not just when we are together here, but every day and in every way.
Invite the group to pass a blessing around the circle. Say you will each, in turn, address the person next to you by name and say "Thank you for being here today." Model by addressing the person on your left: "Howard, thank you for being here today."
When everyone has blessed a person next to them, extinguish the chalice together.