Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Multiple copies of North Star,Big Dipper, and the six UU Source Star handouts, to make a complete set for each participant:
- Session 2, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Awe and Wonder
- Session 3, Leader Resource 3, Source Star - Reason and Science
- Session 4, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Jewish and Christian Teachings
- Session 6, Leader Resource 4, Source Star - The Harmony of Nature
- Session 7, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Wise Women and Men
- Session 10, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - World Religions
- Session 14, Leader Resource 3, Source Star - Our UU Faith Heritage
- Black or dark blue poster board - a sheet for each participant
- Scissors (including left-handed scissors) and glue sticks and cellophane tape
- Materials to decorate a Night Sky display, such as gold or silver glitter glue; white or yellow chalk; white, yellow, gold, or silver paint markers; star and planet stickers; or aluminum foil
- Optional: Glow-in-the-dark paint and paint brushes, smocks, and newspaper or drop cloth
- Optional: Multiple copies of the UU Source Constellation handouts - a complete set for each participant: Session 2, Handout 1, UU Source Constellation - Our Sense of Wonder; Session 3, Handout 2, UU Source Constellation - Reason and Science; Session 4, Handout 1, UU Source Constellation - Jewish and Christian Teachings; Session 6, Handout 1, UU Source Constellation - The Harmony of Nature; Session 7, Handout 1,UU Source Constellation - Wise Women and Men; Session 10, Handout 1, UU Source Constellation - World Religions
Preparation for Activity
- Copy the leader resources listed above to make a full packet of nine images for each participant to glue on a Night Sky. (If the children have used UU Source Constellations, you may wish to provide the optional handouts also, or instead.) Consider the size of the poster board sheets the children will work with-make sure their Night Sky displays will accommodate all the Source stars and/or constellations you provide. You can download leader resources and handouts and adjust the image sizes on your computer.
- Optional: Cut out the Source stars and/or constellations for children.
- Set out the poster board sheets and the decorating materials at work tables.
Description of Activity
Participants each make a Night Sky display for home, to remind them about the ways our Unitarian Universalist Sources guide us to love.
Gather the children at work tables. Say they may each create a Night Sky display to bring home, like the display in the meeting room.
Give each child a packet you have prepared and invite them to cut out the UU Source stars, North Star, and Big Dipper and glue or tape them to their poster board. Encourage them to refer to the group's Night Sky display for orientation of the Big Dipper and the North Star.
Invite children to use the other materials to decorate their Night Skies. Some may wish to paint over the stars and words with glow in the dark paint.
As children, ask questions such as:
- Do you have a favorite Source? Why?
- Do you have any favorite memories from our time together in Love Will Guide Us?
- What sorts of ways will you behave when you are guided by love?