Session 1: The Journey Begins
Session 1: The Journey Begins
Session 1: The Journey Begins
Part of Faithful Journeys, Grades 2-3
In This Section
In our era the road to holiness necessarily passes through the world of action. — Dag Hammarskjold This session introduces the program and...
Activity Minutes Opening 5 Activity 1: Group Behavior Covenant 5 Activity 2: Move It! Song — "Woyaya" 5 Activity 3: Story Path — UU...
If it would be helpful in creating sacred space, light a candle or chalice. Reflect upon your own journey as a Unitarian Universalist. Take...
Materials for Activity Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle Lighter and extinguisher, if needed Newsprint, markers and tape...
Materials for Activity Newsprint, markers and tape Preparation for Activity Write "Covenant" at the top of a sheet of newsprint and post it...
Materials for Activity Copies of Singing the Journey , supplement to the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, Singing the Living Tradition , or...
Materials for Activity Leader Resource 2: Faithful Journeys Path Optional: A wide ribbon, long enough to wind around the perimeter of the...
Materials for Activity Faithful Journeys Path Footprints and wheelchair tracks for all participants ( Leader Resources 3 and 4 ) Trees cut...
Materials for Activity Copy of Leader Resource 6 , UU Principles Matching Game Cards (Note: If the group has more than seven children, make...
Materials for Activity Faithful Journeys Path Copies of Leader Resource 8, UU Principles Song, for all participants Optional: Newsprint,...
Take a few minutes to evaluate the session with your co-leader immediately afterward, while it is fresh. Share your thoughts with any other...
Materials for Activity Large nonflammable container, such as ceramic or metal bowl Play sand (can be found at local hardware store) or...
Materials for Activity A chair for each participant Preparation for Activity Identify a space large enough for the children to form a...
In our era the road to holiness necessarily passes through the world of action. — Dag Hammarskjold IN TODAY'S SESSION... Children were...
Adapted from "A Week at SOS Children's Village, Tlokweng, Botswana," by Annie Arnzen, on the "A Precious Cause" website. Used with...
Adapted from multiple sources including a 2005 article, "Mrs. Mott, 'The Celebrated Female Physician,'" in Historic New England online...
By Ellen GoldBy Ellen Gold. Based on information in the book, Maglipay Universalist, by Fred Muir (Annapolis, Maryland: Unitarian Universalist Church of...
Unitarian Universalist Principles We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote:...
Hymn 1020 in Singing the Journey, supplement to Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook. Copyright unknown. We...
Hymn 1018 in Singing the Journey, supplement to Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook. Come and go with me to...
Original sources are unknown for many readings commonly used in Unitarian Universalist congregations. If you like, select your own opening...
The Faithful Journeys Path is meant to be a large visual of a winding path that represents the journey we make as we translate our faith...
Using different colors of paper, cut out Faithful Footprints to post on the Faithful Journeys Path. To promote inclusion, also provide...
Promote inclusion by providing pictures of wheelchairs, using different colors of paper, as an alternative to Faithful Footprints to post...
Printing This Handout Download a high-resolution copy of this Handout (PDF) for printing.
Cut out the game cards. Keep the adult language Principles separate from the children's version. Printing This Handout Download a high-...
Cut out the traffic light. Color the bottom circle green if using a black and white version. During the Closing, show it to the children...
By Lisa RubinSing to the tune of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm." Seven UU Principles, Come and sing with me! One! Everyone is special, That's what we...
Harriot Hunt and the Motts The treatment Drs. Elizabeth and Richard Dixon Mott provided her sister, Sarah, inspired Harriot Kezia Hunt to...
- Session 1: The Journey Begins
- Spiritual Preparation
- Activity 1: Group Behavior Covenant
- Activity 2: Move It! Song - Woyaya
- Activity 3: Story Path - UU Faithful Journeys
- Activity 4: Decorating Our Faithful Journeys Path
- Activity 5: U U Principles Matching Game
- Leader Reflection and Planning
- Alternate Activity 1: Candles of Joys and Sorrows
- Alternate Activity 2: Move It! All My Friends and Neighbors Game
- Taking It Home
- Annie Arnzen Making A Difference
- Harriot Kezia Hunt Making A Difference
- Toribio Quimada Making A Difference
- Handout 1: Unitarian Universalist Principles, Adult and Child Versions
- Handout 2: Song - Woyaya
- Handout 3: Song - Come and Go with Me
- Leader Resource 1: Alternate Openings
- Leader Resource 2: Faithful Journeys Path Instructions
- Leader Resource 3: Faithful Footprints
- Leader Resource 4: Making Tracks for Faith
- Leader Resource 5: Trees for the Faithful Journeys Path
- Leader Resource 6: UU Principles Matching Game Cards
- Leader Resource 7: Signpost for Session 1
- Leader Resource 8: UU Principles Song
- Find Out More
- Program Structure
- Leader Guidelines
- Before You Start
- Facilitator Feedback Form
- Participant Feedback Form
- Principles and Sources
- Session 2: Unconditional Love, a Gift from Our Universalist Heritage
- Session 3: Welcoming Superman
- Session 4: Be Fair
- Session 5: Finding Balance
- Session 6: Keep Learning
- Session 7: Create Magic, Change the World
- Session 8: Seek Truth
- Session 9: Ask Questions
- Session 10: Speak Out
- Session 11: Get Involved
- Session 12: Make Peace
- Session 13: Build World Community
- Session 14: Honor Life
- Session 15: Protect the Earth
- Session 16: Get Moving
- Stories in Faithful Journeys
- Handouts in Faithful Journeys
- Leader Resources in Faithful Journeys