Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Faithful Journeys Path
- Copies of Leader Resource 8, UU Principles Song, for all participants
- Optional: Newsprint, markers and tape
- Traffic light from Leader Resource 7, and glue stick or tape
- Copies of Handout 1, Unitarian Universalist Principles: Adult and Child Versions, for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Optional: Write the words for the UU Principles Song on newsprint and post.
- Customize, print out and photocopy the Taking It Home section for all participants.
Description of Activity
This activity accustoms children to a closing ritual that affirms their part in the faith community.
Gather the group in a circle. Thank the children for participating and sharing their stories and ideas in this session. Tell them something you liked about the way they worked together as a community.
Point out the Faithful Journeys Path. Say, in your own words:
Our Faithful Journeys Path shows our journey to live our lives and act in ways that reflect our Unitarian Universalist beliefs. Just like Harriot Kezia Hunt, Toribio Quimada, Annie Arnzen and many other Unitarian Universalists, we each have a faithful journey. As we go forward on our path, we will find signposts to help direct us along the way. Today's signpost is a green light for GO! We are on our path!
Post the traffic light on the Faithful Journeys Path.
Distribute handouts with lyrics (or point out the words to the UU Principles Song). Tell the children it is sung to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm." Lead the children in singing it once through. Collect handouts for reuse in future sessions.
Distribute the Taking It Home and UU Principles handouts.
Thank the children, tell them you look forward to seeing them next time, and dismiss the group.