Love makes a bridge from heart to heart, and hand to hand. — "Love Makes a Bridge," Hymn 325 in Singing the Living Tradition
This first meeting sets the tone and rhythm for the whole program: Chalice Children make friends, feel love, and learn about the congregation. Preschool children usually will not be able to identify their congregation or Unitarian Universalism by name. Encourage them to say "Unitarian Universalism," "Chalice Children," and the name of your congregation and you will start their learning process. The repetition of these names will reinforce their sense of belonging.
This session will:
- Demonstrate that the meeting space is a safe and welcoming place
- Demonstrate that the group is friendly and caring
- Build awareness that the congregation is a Unitarian Universalist community/place and that the chalice is a symbol of Unitarian Universalism.
- Learn that love is the most important quality of their congregation
- Build a sense of Unitarian Universalist identity by singing songs and playing games which will they will continue to use throughout the program
- Reinforce their growing sense of belonging by learning one another's names, the name of the congregation, and the names of the program leaders.