Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Carol Gilligan and a Different Voice
Preparation for Activity
- Read Handout 1, Carol Gilligan and a Different Voice, and copy for all participants.
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 1 and invite participants to read it. Say:
Gilligan argued that there are different ways of framing moral issues and that her contemporaries were leaving out or undervaluing the moral perspectives of women.
Lead a discussion with these questions:
- To what extent is Gilligan's critique still valid?
- How do people prioritize relationship in ethical decision making?
- What does someone's gender have to do with the way they prioritize relationship? Is there a difference in how we perceive the ethical priorities and perspectives of males and females?
- What differences in perspectives arise when we break the binary of gender in order to include transgender people and others who are gender variant?
- Do you perceive generational and/or cultural/racial/ethnic differences of perspective on these questions?
Including All Participants
Create a large-print handout that includes the discussion questions, to assist those who are visually impaired.