Activity 2: Reflection and Conversation
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Journals or notebooks, one for each participant
- Variety of writing and drawing tools, such as pens, pencils, fine point color markers, and color pencils
Preparation for Activity
- Set out drawing materials where all can reach them.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- Does the existence of a relationship make a difference in your personal moral and ethical decision making?
- Does relationship bias our ethical decisions and/or engagement in social justice? How?
Description of Activity
Invite participants to consider an ethical or moral choice they made that concerned someone with whom they had some kind of relationship. Invite them to describe in their journals with writing or drawing the situation and the factors they weighed in their decision making. Allow five minutes for journaling. Then, ask participants to think of an ethical or moral choice they made that concerned someone they did not know at all. Ask them to describe that situation and the factors they weighed in their decision making. Allow five minutes for writing or drawing.
Invite participants to examine differences and similarities between the two decisions. Ask them to share their reflections in pairs, using the posted questions to guide the conversation.