Context: The MidAmerica Bylaws (Article IV, Section 5, Business Submitted by Congregational Action) state that “Member congregations wishing to have business considered by the Annual Meeting shall do so following a process to be determined by the Board and communicated to the member congregations.”
Regional Business Submission Process:
A congregation in good standing may propose an item of business for consideration by the 2020 Annual Business Meeting of the MidAmerica Region in the following manner.
- The leadership of the congregation should contact the Region President, David Lauth, or Vice-President, Tammy Lemmer, for a preliminary discussion of how the proposed item of business relates to the authority and jurisdiction of the Region prior to submitting any items for consideration.
- The item should be formally proposed by vote of the congregation’s governing board or its membership.
- The proposed item should be formally endorsed by at least four additional congregations in good standing, in each case by vote of the congregation’s governing board or its membership.
- The proposed business item and the endorsements should be received by the Region President, David Lauth, or Vice-President, Tammy Lemmer, by March 10, 2020.
- Upon certification by the MidAmerica Board that the business item is within the authority and jurisdiction of the Region, it will be added to the agenda of the Annual Meeting.
Some possible categories of business submitted by congregational action could include:
- Social justice statements on issues specifically affecting our region;
- Policies affecting the governance of the Region and/or its congregations; or
- Other business appropriate for consideration by the Regional Assembly.
Please submit your proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above process was approved by the MidAmerica Board of Trustees (pictured above; not pictured Sarah Oglesby-Dunegan) on October 26, 2019, for the 2020 Annual Business Meeting of the MidAmerica Region.
The 2020 Annual Business Meeting will be held on Saturday, April 18, 2020, at the UU Church of Rockford, IL.