You Are Here
Faith Without Borders
About Faith Without Borders
The Faith Without Borders (FWB) program provides a framework for Unitarian Universalist congregations to become internationally engaged through the Coalition of International Unitarian Universalist (UU) Organizations.
The Coalition of International UU Organizations is a collaborative entity comprised of: Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) International Office, UU Partner Church Council (UUPCC), International Council of Unitarians and Universalists (ICUU), International Convocation of UU Women (ICUUW), UU Global AIDS Coalition (UUGAC), UU Holdeen India Program, UU Service Committee (UUSC), UU College of Social Justice (UUCSJ), and the International Association for Religious Freedom (IARF).
The Coalition of International UU Organizations maintains a collaborative website containing tools and resources at www.UUinternational.org. There, you can find invitations to get internationally engaged, doorways through which to enter the world of UU international work, tools with which your congregation can develop an international program, inspirations to motivate your congregation to connect with the global UU community, and much more!
The International Office hopes that the Faith Without Borders program will provide a useful framework for congregations:
- that are already deeply engaged in international ministries,
- that are only beginning to develop a vision of international ministry, and
- that fall anywhere else on the spectrum of engagement.
Creating and Sustaining
Faith Without Borders invites congregations to create, maintain and expand their international ministries holistically. Opportunities for engagement in 7 program areas are described and supported.
The Program Areas
- Spiritual Support
- Justice-making and Advocacy
- Faithful Stewardship
- Pilgrimage and Witness
- Associational Leadership
Consultation, Resources, Recognition and Celebration
Congregations participating in the Faith Without Borders program will receive practical assistance and consultation in all stages of their international engagement from the UUA International Office (IO). Similarly, the IO will celebrate the international engagement of Faith Without Borders congregations with denominational recognition.
Five Guiding Principles of Faith Without Borders
- Our international engagement must emerge from a place of deep humility and intentionally seek relationships based on equality and mutuality.
- Our international engagement is most effective when it comprehends the abundance and variety of resources our congregations and international partners already have.
- Our international engagement is most transformative when it is grounded in faithful reflection, including integration of the history of our international engagement.
- Our international engagement is truest to our highest values when it responds with wisdom and passion to institutional oppression and injustice.
- The Unitarian Universalist universe of international programs is incredibly diverse and highly decentralized. Our international engagement is most comprehensive when we understand and utilize partner organizations well.