For five weeks in the fall of 2020, the International Unitarian/Universalist Joint Working Group (Unitarian Universalist Association International Office, the International Council of Unitarians and Universalists, and the UU Partner Church Council) hosted a five-part webinar series that posed the question: Are we an imperial faith?
The webinar invited participants to explore and understand the role that North American Unitarians, Universalists, and Unitarian Universalists have played and continue to play abroad, with particular attention to our participation in colonial enterprises.
Take the Course Online
All sessions of the webinar were recorded and are available as a free course in the UU Leadership Institute with the associated materials. Sign up and take the course anytime.
Sign up for the U/U Colonial Legacy course
About the Webinar Series
- Rev. Alicia R. Forde, Director, UUA International Office
- Rev. Sara Ascher, Executive Director, International Council of Unitarians and Universalists
- Rev. Roger Bertschausen, Interim Minister, First Unitarian Society of Madison, WI; former Executive Director of UU Partner Church Council
- Rev. Fred Muir, Interim Executive Director, UU Partner Church Council
Introduction & tech support by: Allison Hess and Rob Kipp, UUA International Office staff
The five sessions include:
- Part 1: "Faith of Our Fathers: Imperial Justifications" led by Rev. Fred Muir
- Part 2: "Who is 'We'?" led by Rev. Roger Bertschausen
- Part 3: "Ingrained Imperialism" led by Rev. Sara Ascher
- Part 4: "Power, Money, and Cultural Dominance" led by Rev. Alicia R. Forde
- Part 5: "Concluding Conversation" led by all presenters
Please reach out to the UUA's International Office staff firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how to engage your congregation more deeply in this work.