Guiding Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
In concert with our Seventh Principle and with urging from the Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth, the General Assembly (GA) Planning Committee has been steadily making GA more sustainable since 2005. The last time we gathered in person (Spokane 2019), we reached two momentous milestones in our sustainability journey: a zero-waste and carbon-neutral GA. With the support of the sustainable event experts at Honeycomb Strategies, we intend to keep GA at the highest standards of environmental stewardship for years to come.
Long Term Sustainability Goals
- Continue being a Zero Waste Event
- Maintain Carbon Neutrality in 2023 and beyond
- Advance Stakeholder Education & Engagement
- Continuously Improve Sustainable Sourcing
- Create a Positive Social Impact and Lasting Legacy on our Host Community
The UUA and General Assembly received the For Planet and People Award-Religious Organization Category from The Carbon Fund (2012).
The UUA was noted as one of the Top 5 Organizations for Green Meetings by Meetings and Conventions (2012).
UUA General Assembly won the Silver Green Meetings Award presented by IMEX (2008).
Annual Sustainability Reports
- 2023 Multiplatform: Pittsburgh, PA and online (PDF)
- 2022 Multiplatform: Portland, OR and online (PDF)
- 2020 Virtual GA (PDF) (originally planned for Providence, RI)
- 2019 Spokane, WA (PDF)
- 2018 Kansas City, MO (PDF)
- 2017 New Orleans, LA (PDF)
- 2016 Columbus, OH (PDF)
- 2015 Portland, OR (PDF)
- 2014 Providence, RI (PDF)
- 2013 Louisville, KY (PDF)
- 2012 Phoenix, AZ (PDF)
- 2011 Charlotte, NC (PDF)
- 2010 Minneapolis, MN (PDF)
- 2009 Salt Lake City, UT (PDF)
- 2008 Fort Lauderdale, FL (PDF)
- 2007 Portland, OR (PDF)
- 2006 St. Louis, MO (PDF)
- 2005 Fort Worth, TX (PDF)