Employees transitioning from one congregational employer to another should ensure that their benefits follow them seamlessly. To do so, use the Benefits Transition/Coverage Continuation Form created by the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Office of Church Staff Finances (OCSF). Completing this form helps to ensure a smooth transition of the benefits you obtain through OCSF when you move from one congregation to another. The form may also be useful as you prepare for conversations regarding your employee benefits.
- Review the benefits you may have carried under your old employer.
- Be aware of the number of "gap" days between end of old employment and beginning of new employment.
- Talk to your new congregation-employer about benefits.
- Agree about the benefits you will carry and how they will be funded.
- Complete the Benefits Transition/Coverage Continuation Form.
- OCSF will act to complete your benefits transition.
The form must be completed within 30 days after your official start date at your new congregation. For example, if your start date is August 1, the form must be received by OCSF on or before August 30.
UUA Health Plan
The UUA Health Plan (UUAHP) offers consistent coverage everywhere in the United States.
For those currently enrolled in the UUAHP:
- Check on the details of coverage with your new congregation to ensure they participate in the UUAHP
- If your congregation participates in the UUAHP, your coverage will be moved seamlessly to your new congregation and you and your dependents will use your current ID cards.
- Some congregations have other plans in place. If your new congregation does not allow participation in the UUAHP, your coverage will be terminated on the last day of the month you end working at your old congregation.
- If your new congregation does not already participate in the UUAHP and you and they agree to continue your UUAHP, your congregation must complete a Subscription Agreement (PDF) and return it to: UUA Health Plan, 24 Farnsworth St, Boston, MA, 02210, by email to email@example.com or by fax at 617-948-6487.
- Your rate will change based on your new home zip code. Check your new rate with our Rate Calculator.
- Your employment change is considered a Qualifying Event, so you will have 30 days from your start date at your new congregation to make changes to your coverage (add dependents, change plan, etc.).
For those NOT currently enrolled in the UUAHP:
- Please review our Plan Details and decide if the UUAHP is the right plan for you in your new location.
- If your new congregation participates in the UUAHP, please complete the Online Enrollment Form to enroll. Check with your new congregation to find out what your effective date of coverage will be as it will depend on the Subscription Agreement your congregation has in place with the UUAHP.
- If your new congregation does not participate in the UUAHP, they may choose to offer it to you and in that case your congregation must complete a Subscription Agreement (PDF) and return it to: UUA Health Plan, 25 Beacon St, Boston, MA, 02108.
The Unitarian Universalist (UU) Organizations Retirement Plan enables transitioning employees to easily continue their retirement plan savings while serving different UU entities throughout their employment.
Once you begin with the UU Organizations Retirement Plan at a participating UU employer, you may bring your Plan with you to a new UU entity if they are also a participating employer.
If your new UU employer is not participating in the Plan and you would like your Retirement Plan to continue, please have your employer reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Group Insurance Plans
The Unitarian Universalist Group Insurance Plans (UUGIP) offer three types of coverage: Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment (Life/AD&D), Long-Term Disability (LTD) and Dental coverage.
Whether or not you are currently carrying GIP coverage(s), read the Benefits Transition/Coverage Continuation Form, review the details of coverage associated with each benefit, and agree with your new congregational-employer about participation in the plans and funding of the premiums. Then complete and send your Benefits Transition/Coverage Continuation Form to OCSF.