Find Out More About Workshop 2
Unitarian Universalism — History and Beliefs
Find extensive resources on the Unitarian Universalist Association website including:
- "Unitarian Universalist Origins: Our Historic Faith (pamphlet)
- "Flaming chalice: Symbol of Our Faith (article)
- UU Beliefs (links to topical web pages on the UUA website)
- In the Tapestry of Faith adult curriculum, The New UU:
- Common Views Among Unitarian Universalists (Workshop 1, Leader Resource)
- Themes in North American Unitarian Universalist History (Workshop 2, Story)
- Cathedral of the World, an excerpt from Cathedral of the World: A Universalist Theology, by Forrest Church (Beacon Press, 2010)
- The Tapestry of Faith youth curriculum A Place of Wholeness guides UU youth to examine their faith journeys in the context of Unitarian Universalism.
Books include Unitarian Universalism: A Narrative History (Chicago: Meadville-Lombard Press, 2001). Find more titles online at inSpirit, the UU Book and Gift Shop. The Religious Tolerance website is another source for Unitarian, Universalist, and Unitarian Universalist history.
Universalist theology in a number of denominations is the subject of an article on the website Believe: Religious Information Source. A mid19th-century article, "Brief History of Universalism" by Rev. J.M. Austin, appears on the website of Auburn University.
Lydia Maria Child
- Short biography in the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography
- Biographical story, background, activities, and discussion questions in Stirring the Nation's Heart: Eighteen Stories of Prophetic Unitarians and Universalists of the Nineteenth Century by Polly Peterson (Boston: Skinner House, 2010)
- Full length biography, Crusader for Freedom: A Life of Lydia Maria Child by Deborah Pickman Clifford (Boston: Beacon Press, 1992)
The Cathedral of the World A Universalist Theology
From Beacon Press
The culmination of the spiritual thought of a preeminent liberal theologian...