Alternate Activity 1: Song - Meditation on Breathing
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Multiple copies of the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook supplement, Singing the Journey
- Optional: Computer with Internet access, or a recording of the song "Meditation on Breathing"
Preparation for Activity
- Learn the song so that you can teach it from memory, or invite a guest song leader to teach the song to the group. Listen to a piece of the song on the UUA website.
- Write the lyrics to "Meditation on Breathing" (Hymn 1009 in Singing the Journey) on newsprint, and post it where all participants can see it:
Description of Activity
Participants learn the song "Meditation on Breathing."
Say, in these words or your own:
Singing together is another way we feel a connection with each other. Does anyone know the song "Meditation on Breathing" from our hymnbook Singing the Journey, Hymn 1009?
Teach the melody by singing one phrase at a time and having participants sing the phrase back to you, then put the phrases together as a whole song.
If there are enough voices, add the descant and drone parts.
The lyrics are:
When I breathe in, I'll breathe in peace.
When I breathe out, I'll breathe out love.