Activity 1: Sharing Miracle Moments
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Sheets of newsprint with definition(s) of a miracle generated by the group.
Preparation for Activity
- Post the definition(s) of a miracle that the group has generated.
- Prepare to share, in a phrase or sentence, a “miracle moment” of your own.
Description of Activity
In Session 1, participants contributed examples of what they think is miraculous and crafted a working definition of “miracle.” Indicate where you have posted their definition. Read it aloud or have a volunteer read it.
Invite everyone, whether or not they were present for Session 1, to share a “miracle moment”—a time when they noticed something unexpected, awesome, and perhaps unexplained. To set the tone, share a recent miracle moment of your own. You may wish to remind the group:
- Everyone’s ideas and experiences of miracles may be different.
- Participants may “pass.” They are not required to share a miracle.
In light of the miracle moments participants have shared, does the definition still capture the group’s understanding of miracles? Invite participants to rework the definition. Record their ideas on the newsprint and save it.