Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Taking It Home
- Optional: Handout 1, Say “Yes” to a Miracle
- Optional: Handout 2, For the Beauty of the Earth
- Optional: Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Review the two song suggestions (Handouts 1 and 2). Find lyrics for “Say ‘Yes’ to a Miracle” on Handout 1 and listen to the song online. “For the Beauty of the Earth” is Hymn 21 in Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, and the lyrics are provided on Handout 2.
- Choose one of these, another song, or a unison reading. If you like, invite a musical volunteer to help lead a song. You may wish to help the group learn two or three closing songs/readings and alternate among these over the course of the program.
- Copy handouts to help participants learn the song you have chosen. You may also write song lyrics (or a unison reading) on newsprint, and post.
- Download the Taking It Home section and copy for all participants.
Description of Activity
Gather participants in a circle. Distribute handouts or indicate lyrics you have posted.
Lead the group in singing “Say ‘Yes’ to a Miracle” or “For the Beauty of the Earth,” or lead another song or reading.
Compose together a spontaneous benediction by having each participant complete the phrase, “I am thankful for the miracle of _____.”
Distribute the Taking It Home handout. Explain that the handout contains ideas for ways to continue engaging with today’s topic at home with family and friends. Ask participants to pay careful attention and be open to miracles. You might say, “I wonder what miracles will be revealed to each of you before we meet again?” Tell them each session will have time dedicated to the sharing of miracles.
Collect handouts for re-use, and say good-bye.
Including All Participants
You may wish to teach “Say ‘Yes’ to a Miracle” one phrase at a time before leading the song.