The Gift of Faith Tending the Spiritual Lives of Children, Second Edition
By Jeanne Nieuwejaar
From Skinner House Books
Celebrates the importance of nurturing our children's spiritual growth...
Find Unitarian Universalist stories in these books.
- A Lamp in Every Corner: Our Unitarian Universalist Storybook by Janeen K. Grohsmeyer (Boston: Unitarian Universalist Association, 2004)
- Stories in Faith: Exploring Our Unitarian Universalist Principles and Sources Through Wisdom Tales by Gail Forsyth-Vail (Boston: Unitarian Universalist Association, 2007)
- Another book with a variety of stories and guidance on using Storytelling is Once Upon a Time: Storytelling to Teach Character and Prevent Bullying by Elisa Pearmain (Greensboro, NC: Character Development Group, 2006)
- Raising Resilient Children by Robert Coles and Sam Goldstein (Chicago: Contemporary Books, 2001) gives guidance on developing social conscience in children.
- This picture book makes the demographics of the world’s population more concrete and is informative for people of all ages: If the World Were a Village: A Book about the World’s People by David J. Smith (Kids Can Press, Ltd., 2002).
- Learn about the global distribution of wealth with these books which use respectful photographs from around the world to visually demonstrate levels of wealth as displayed in material possessions and differing food habits and expenditures:
- Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D’Aluisio (Ten Speed Press, 2007)
- Material World: A Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel, Charles C. Mann and Paul Kennedy (Sierra Club Books, 1995)
- These books, all available from the Unitarian Universalist Association online bookstore, offer information, reflection and guidance that may help leaders prepare to teach Moral Tales:
- Nurturing Children and Youth: A Developmental Guidebook by Tracey Hurd (Boston: Unitarian Universalist Association, 2007)
- The Gift of Faith: Tending the Spiritual Lives of Children by Jeanne Harrison Nieuwejaar Second Edition (Boston: Skinner House Books, 2003)
- Welcoming Children with Special Needs: A Guidebook for Faith Communities by Sally Patton (Boston: Skinner House Books, 2004, out of print, available online)