Find a place where you can be quiet with your thoughts. Close your eyes and breathe deeply for several minutes, perhaps repeating a word or phrase to separate yourself from the activities of the day. When you feel settled and relaxed, consider:
- Can you think of a time when someone's willingness to listen made a difference in your life?
- Can you think of a time when your own non-judgmental listening has made a difference?
- How do you feel when someone truly listens to you?
- How completely do you feel you listen to the people in your life? Your children? Spouse/partner? Friends? Co-workers? People you disagree with?
- What do you do when you listen most effectively?