Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Circle of Elements mural from Session 1
- Leader Resource 1, "Presence" Circle, and tape
- Session 1, Leader Resource 3, Circle of Elements Mural Instructions
- Closing Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 5), and basket
- Opening Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 1)
- Taking It Home handout
- Bracelets from Session 1, plus lengths of cord for any new participants
- Large beads, one per person, in white or light blue
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1. If you do not have a color printer, you might use light blue paper. Cut out the circle. Find the position on the Circle of Elements Mural where you will post the "Presence" circle, by referring to Circle of Elements Mural Instructions (Session 1, Leader Resource 3).
- Print copies of Opening Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 1) and Closing Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 5). You will offer these to the children who volunteer to read opening or closing words next time the group meets, so they may choose and prepare their reading in advance. Keep copies on hand throughout the program.
- Download and adapt the Taking It Home section and copy as a handout for all participants (you may wish to email to parents as well).
Description of Activity
Explain that the session is almost over and the group will now work together as a community to clean the meeting space. Ask everyone to clean their own area and put away the materials they were using, then clean another area or help someone else. No one should sit in the circle until the meeting space is clean.
Gather the group in a circle. Tape the "presence" circle outside the "Air" quadrant of the Circle of Elements mural, in the position shown on Session1, Leader Resource 3. Say:
Air power encourages us to be fully present to others, and to offer our support through attention and listening.
Invite each participant to take a bead and string it on the elastic and, as they do so, to take a deep breath and then let it out.
Ask the day's closing worship leader to choose a reading from the Closing Words Basket and read it aloud (or, to read aloud the reading they prepared after the previous session).
Ask for (and record) volunteers to lead the opening and closing readings for the next session. Offer the volunteers a copy of Session 1, Leader Resource 1, Opening Words for Basket or Session 1, Leader Resource 5, Closing Words for Basket that they may take home to choose and practice their readings. Tell them they are also welcome to choose their reading from a basket when they come next time.
You may wish to invite the volunteer to bring a symbol of air for the centering space as well.
Invite participants to put the bracelets in the Closing Words Basket. Distribute Taking It Home. Thank and dismiss participants.