Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, "The Magic Penny Song" Lyrics
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Recording of "The Magic Penny Song" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain a recording of "The Magic Penny Song." You can download a version from many music sites. Test music player and cue music.
- Write the lyrics on newsprint, and post.
- Invite someone to teach the group how to sign the chorus of "The Magic Penny Song." Learn and practice ahead of time so you can focus on assisting children to learn.
- Optional: Arrange for the children to perform "The Magic Penny Song" with sign language, at a congregational worship or another event.
Description of Activity
Children learn a song about generosity, in sign language.
Teach the children to sign the chorus of "The Magic Penny Song." Lead the group to practice many times, first slowly and using only words; later, to the music. Then, sign and sing together.
If children will perform the song, have them sign the chorus.
Learning sign language or learning any other language helps you to communicate with more people. How is this being a good steward of the congregation? How is learning to communicate with people who are hearing impaired a sign of our faith?
If children enjoy learning some signs and the guest teacher can visit again, include sign language in more activities.