Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Several large sheets of foam core
- Removable glue or sticky tack
- Photographs of participants' families and other congregational families
- Construction paper or adhesive letters
- Wall mounting materials
Preparation for Activity
- Several weeks ahead, begin collecting photographs from the children's families and the congregation. Explain that removable glue will be used to attach the photos to a collage.
- Mount the foam core on a hallway wall, at a height the children can reach. Or, lay the foam core on work tables and plan to mount it on a wall after the collage is complete.
- Cut out letters from black construction paper or use adhesive letters to add the title "Beloved Community Families" across the top or bottom of the foam core.
- Optional: Invite extra adult volunteers to help keep all participants engaged.
Description of Activity
Participants and others from your congregation share their family pictures.
Gather participants. Ask each participant to share their pictures. Process each picture with these questions:
- Who is in the picture?
- Where was the picture taken?
- I wonder why you chose this picture?
When everyone has shared a picture, gather at the board display. Invite participants to put removable glue on the back of their pictures and make a collage. Edges of the pictures may touch but not overlap; this will keep glue from ruining photos. As participants finish, help them add pictures provided by others in the congregation. As you work, use these wonder statements to spark conversation:
- I wonder why this family is laughing.
- I wonder who took this photo.
- I wonder if this family wants to do this again.
When all the pictures are placed in the collage, invite participants to stand back, look at the collage, and say together, "Families are important in our beloved community."
Including All Participants
Physically challenged participants may need help attaching their photos to the collage.