Activity 2: Story - The Best Meal
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Review, download, and print out story, "The Best Meal."
- Optional: Print the coloring sheet and copy for all participants. Place coloring sheets and crayons where children can use them when invited but will not be distracted beforehand.
Description of Activity
The group will hear a story about the joys of sharing goodwill and community at mealtime and reflect on what makes a meal "good." Gather the children to hear the story.
At the conclusion, ask the group:
- What do you think made the meal the chef shared with the family so special?
- Why couldn't the chef and her assistants make the same amazing meal, even when they had the recipe?
- Has your family ever had a special meal, perhaps during the holidays? What did you like about that meal?
- Have you ever shared a meal with your faith family? What did you like about it?
Including All Participants
Offer children the opportunity to color the illustration provided for “The Best Meal” to engage different learning styles and to help children focus on or relate to the story. A coloring activity can be a "preview" of a story. It can work as a quiet activity to help children physically settle. You might use it afterward to help the group recall and respond to the story.