But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. — Christian scripture, Galatians 5:22-23
Preschool children love to experience life with all their senses. In this session, the main activity, making fruit chalices employs children's senses of smell, touch, sight, and taste—an "extra sensory" way for children to get to know the chalice symbol.
This session will help preschoolers:
- Understand the shape of the chalice
- Experience the Chalice Children meeting room and group as safe and caring
- Feel a growing sense of belonging
- Feel a sense of identity with a Unitarian Universalist congregation.
- Explore the shape and parts of the chalice, using edible fruit
- Reinforce their understanding of the chalice as the symbol of Unitarian Universalism
- Feel connected to the chalice and to their Chalice Children group.