Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Taking It Home handout
- Markers or crayons
- Preschool chalice
- Paper chains (Activity 5)
- Optional: Envelopes, hole punch, and yarn or ribbon
Preparation for Activity
- Download and adapt Taking It Home and copy for each child.
- Bring the "lit" preschool chalice to the activity table.
- Optional: Punch a hole in the corner of each envelope, string the yarn or ribbon through the envelope, and tie it in a loop or a bow.
Description of Activity
Invite children to bring their paper chains into the circle, or distribute their paper chains. Bring over the chalice. Offer these closing words while you extinguish the chalice, and invite the children to repeat them after you:
We gather the warmth of love, [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart]
The light of truth, [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart again]
And the energy of action [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart again]
Into our hearts as we blow out the chalice. [blow out the "flame"]
Back into the world of do and say, [hold world in cupped hands]
Carry it forward into the dawning day. [arms overhead, hands together making the sun]
May we remember: Here at church [or name of congregation] we celebrate peace and hope for Christmas.
Invite the children to remove the first link in their paper chain.
While waiting for family members, invite the children to decorate their Taking It Home handouts. Optional: Place the handout in an envelope with the ribbon/yarn bow as a gift to the parent(s) or caregiver(s).